2001 2.5L EFI question. 0T333414 (unknown hrs) 2001 Champion 196.

Many small victories on my Champ 196 over the past few months thanks to Joe’s guidance and previous posts from Don/Joe. Appreciated!!! I was going to PM them, but wanted to make this post public in case anyone out there thinks about longevity of their Merc 24/7 like me. Follow their guidance and manuals (which align perfectly BTW). I also blew an 01 Opti back in the day, and this and Opti page would have saved me thousands had I done so or knew better…

Because of my past dealing(s) with catastrophic engine failure, I am becoming increasingly paranoid about injectors/reeds.

So for Joe/Don, are my metal reeds a ticking time bomb? Also, Don, I know things are crazy right now with lead times…what would I be looking at (lead time) with regard to sending you reed block and injectors for serial/model above?

Thanks again Joe/Don for this forum and your time.

Zac Adams

2. Member
    Don- Should have specified, upgrade to TDR, and your full injector service.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Zac- I'd ask that you contact the office to discuss scheduling, lead times, or parts.

If you still have steel reeds in the engine, I would definitely recommend you consider TDR Reeds as they're safer for the engine. That would be a good time to consider injectors as well.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    those later steel ones are very thin
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Don/Joe, Will do, and thank you both again for the guidance.