96 225 promax water pressure (I'm stumped)

I have a bullet 20vee with a 96 225 promax. I can't maintain water pressure and my alarm keeps going off. I just had a reman powerhead put on it by a dealer. I'm currently 2 3/4 below pad. And all of this is happening at 30-40 mph and 3000-4000 rpms. I'm only slightly trimmed because if I go higher it drops on the guage. (Needle bounces between 7-17 psi with slight adjustments. I've tried different props as well as different engine heights.

It is passing steadily at 1000 rpms and when running higher rpms. Alarm goes off and water is really hot.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Torque master lower (8 intake holes)
    Tried 25 trophy, 25 tempest, 26 tempest
    Tried even with pad and 2 3/4 below

Thanks
    Last edited by etechydra; 07-30-2021 at 10:12 PM.

2. Banned
    It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury Motors (this forum)
    TWO STROKE models (Less than 135 hp).

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5L Two Stroke motors (Carb, EFI, Optimax or Racing).

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 3L Two Stroke motors (XS, ProXS Optimax, EFI, or Racing)

Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    For discussions related to ALL Mercury 4 Stroke Engines.

For fastest/most-accurate assistance, please choose the correct forum.

Thanks!

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving your post to the 2.5L Forum.

If you would, take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

What do you mean by "It is passing at 1000 RPM's and when running WOT"?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Check your poppet valve, could be weak spring or not shutting as it should. That’s assuming you’re deep enough to get good water pickup.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

5. Member
    DON i think hes using urination term for tell tale operation
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Update. Covered up top 3 holes in water pickup and then tried covering 4. Motor is 1 1/2 below pad. It's much better but still the water pressure is all over the place. And it handles terrible. Was running 26 tempest. 64 mph at 5800 rpms. Gonna lower the motor another 1/4 inch or so and maybe try that 27 trophy. I know I'm probably gonna have to cone it to get the optimal performance but I'd settle for reasonable speed and decent ride until the budget allows. Any suggestions?

Sn 0G367449 1996 promax 225 EFI
    Last edited by etechydra; 08-07-2021 at 03:02 PM.

Updated post and added sn. I also emailed you

Thank you

8. Member
    need a sportmaster
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might (just maybe) benefit from a High Speed Scoop Kit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by etechydra View Post
    Update. Covered up top 3 holes in water pickup and then tried covering 4. Motor is 1 1/2 below pad. It's much better but still the water pressure is all over the place. And it handles terrible. Was running 26 tempest. 64 mph at 5800 rpms. Gonna lower the motor another 1/4 inch or so and maybe try that 27 trophy. I know I'm probably gonna have to cone it to get the optimal performance but I'd settle for reasonable speed and decent ride until the budget allows. Any suggestions?

Sn 0G367449 1996 promax 225 EFI
    Your gonna have to learn how to drive a bullet. Balance is everything. Make sure your weight in the boat is even and play around with moving the weight around. Seat time is your best friend right now. Might post up in the bullet forum and see if someone is close to you that might help with getting you tuned in to driving a bullet. Also stay below 3 inch P2P without having a low water pickup.

11. Member
    You’ll either need a nose cone or a sporty, those Bullets run jacked to the moon compared to most boats. It’ll drive a lot better when set up right too.

12. Member
    +1^^^^^