Starting a few minor mods for the new Caracal

I added rubber diamond plate steps pads to replace the sandpaper type that were from the factory on the bow. Why? The factory pads were sitting in recessed areas which actually (to me) limits the amount of step pad that is available. I am also anal retentive when it comes to scratches and the fact that the factory pads were recessed meant that the majority of ones foot was going to be stepping on the fiberglass which for a white top cap was going to show all of the scratches.

So I made a template for the full step pads, and a template for the pad by the GPS puck. The newly added pads sit above the top cap so when stepping in using the pads there should be minimal contact with the top cap and the bottom of ones shoe. When there was duck weed or whatever at the ramp and when stepping onto the sandpaper factory pads whatever was on the bottom of my shoe would get embedded into the sandpaper ones. These will not have that issue.

I have another mod in the works that I will share once I have it finished and installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Great idea. Maybe Basscat will change it in the future.

3. Member
    That's a nice add on.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

Look nicer, but I doubt it's close to being as slip resistant. Basscat IMO, leans more toward functionality than looks.

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    Look nicer, but I doubt it's close to being as slip resistant. Basscat IMO, leans more toward functionality than looks.
    Functionality would have been a slightly raised area where the sandpaper type step pad was fully exposed to ensure full contact. It works just fine as far as a non slip option.

That “Jelly Bean” pattern was used on Bass Cat trailer steps in the late 1980’s.

I've seen a few guys put a sea deck pad over that area all together and one on the gunnel at the front of the boat... I always cringed dropping co anglers off on the dock and they would piviot their shoe/ boot off the gunnel...
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

8. Member
    Very good idea you mind sharing were you got the black rubber diamond plate material.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980