Linking my hds 12 carbon to hds 8 and 7 gen 2 touch questions

Hey guys, I have a question about my current setup.

I just got a brand new HDS 12 carbon for my bow. I had a hds 12 gen 2 there, that recently the touch screen stopped working. At my console I have a gen 2 hds 8 and a gen 2 hds 7 touch. All 3 of these units are connected through Ethernet to my LSS1 module under my console. I have a LSS2 transducer mounted on my transom that is linked to the module as well. My carbon on the bow is linked to my HDI transducer on my bow. My question is this....

Can I remove my LSS1 module and Ethernet link all 3 units together, and also have my LSS2 transom transducer linked to my console HDS 8 or HDS 7 and still have all 3 units act the same way? Also, I am looking into adding Live sight to my Carbon up on the bow, which will require a module also. Any ideas what the best setup for this would be? At some point if I can have my gen 2 hds 12 fixed or find a cheap broken one that I can swap internals over, I would like to put that 12 at my console to replace the 7 and 8.

2. Member
    First, I can't recommend linking Legacy units to a Carbon by Ethernet. Your Gen 2 units and your StructureScan module are all Legacy units and can cause all sorts of issues for the Carbon. But, knowing that you will likely do it anyway, yes, you could get rid of the module. You would need to get an LSS1 extension cable to run your LSS connector all the way to the Carbon at the bow. If your Carbon is a 12" unit it will have 2 Ethernet ports. Then run an Ethernet cable from each port to your Gen 2 units. When you want to view StructureScan at the console, you would select the Carbon as the source. Personally, I wouldn't get rid of the module, just leave it as is and use the module as the Ethernet hub.

Secondly, you should be prepared for lagging, possible sonar stopping, and messages about Legacy units popping up every time you start the Carbon. Also, there are capabilities that will be disabled on the Carbon as long as you are in Legacy mode. Might not be a big deal to you, but proceed with caution!

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    First, I can't recommend linking Legacy units to a Carbon by Ethernet. Your Gen 2 units and your StructureScan module are all Legacy units and can cause all sorts of issues for the Carbon. But, knowing that you will likely do it anyway, yes, you could get rid of the module. You would need to get an LSS1 extension cable to run your LSS connector all the way to the Carbon at the bow. If your Carbon is a 12" unit it will have 2 Ethernet ports. Then run an Ethernet cable from each port to your Gen 2 units. When you want to view StructureScan at the console, you would select the Carbon as the source. Personally, I wouldn't get rid of the module, just leave it as is and use the module as the Ethernet hub.

Secondly, you should be prepared for lagging, possible sonar stopping, and messages about Legacy units popping up every time you start the Carbon. Also, there are capabilities that will be disabled on the Carbon as long as you are in Legacy mode. Might not be a big deal to you, but proceed with caution!

NoCAL
    i will keep everything as it is right now. Is a gen 3 a legacy unit? Yes my hds carbon is a 12. I haven’t even used the carbon yet.

4. Member

NoCAL
    Does legacy mode only happen when the units are turned on and connected by ethernet, or will the Carbon stay in legacy mode even if the legacy unit is not powered on?

5. Member
    A Gen 3 is fully compatible with Carbon and Live units. Legacy mode is only triggered when Legacy units are detected on the network. Take them off the network or turn them off and Legacy mode goes away.

NoCAL
    2B112175

6. Member
    A Gen 3 is fully compatible with Carbon and Live units. Legacy mode is only triggered when Legacy units are detected on the network. Take them off the network or turn them off and Legacy mode goes away.

NoCAL
    ok thanks. I’m gonna list my gen 2’s for sale and get a gen 3.

7. Member
    Good choice.
    2B112175

8. Member
    Good choice.

Since you have been so much help, one more question.

im getting a gen 3 hds 9 to put at my console. So hds 12 carbon at bow, hds gen 3 at console. Can I plug my LSS2 transducer into the 9, then just Ethernet the hds 9 and 12 together and then remove the lss1 module with no issues? At that point there would be no benefit to keeping the module, correct?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 Elite203 View Post
    Since you have been so much help, one more question.

im getting a gen 3 hds 9 to put at my console. So hds 12 carbon at bow, hds gen 3 at console. Can I plug my LSS2 transducer into the 9, then just Ethernet the hds 9 and 12 together and then remove the lss1 module with no issues? At that point there would be no benefit to keeping the module, correct?
    that would work perfect good luck
    Wes

10. Member
    Agreed, the LSS2 transducer will not force Legacy mode
    2B112175

11. Member
    Agreed, the LSS2 transducer will not force Legacy mode

I just setup my new hds 12 carbon on my bow, and my hds 9 gen 3 at my console. I have the lss2 transducer on the transom and have it linked to My console hds 9. I have my 9 and 12 linked together through Ethernet and my hds 12 has the trolling motor hdi transducer but I have live target to install. Today was my first time using the units since I installed them, and I should be able to view my side imaging on my bow hds 12 with it being Ethernet linked to my hds 9, correct? Well I couldn’t get it to work. Ideas? Or am I missing something.

12. Member
    I'll go through the troubleshooting step by step:
    1. You have a grey Ethernet cable running between the console and bow units
    2. Console unit must be on and the selected source must be This Unit to transfer images
    3. On Bow unit, go to Pages and select StructureScan, once the page loads, hit Menu and under Source, select the Console unit. Image from the stern should now be visible
    4. If you see nothing after doing the above, turn everything on, set a waypoint on the console and name it something unique, like XZY123
    5. Go to the bow, do you see waypoint XYZ123? If not, bad Ethernet cable. If you do see it but still don't see Structrure images, there could be something wrong with the Ethernet port on the 9 but that is very rare.

NoCAL
    2B112175

13. Member
    I'll go through the troubleshooting step by step:
    1. You have a grey Ethernet cable running between the console and bow units
    2. Console unit must be on and the selected source must be This Unit to transfer images
    3. On Bow unit, go to Pages and select StructureScan, once the page loads, hit Menu and under Source, select the Console unit. Image from the stern should now be visible
    4. If you see nothing after doing the above, turn everything on, set a waypoint on the console and name it something unique, like XZY123
    5. Go to the bow, do you see waypoint XYZ123? If not, bad Ethernet cable. If you do see it but still don't see Structrure images, there could be something wrong with the Ethernet port on the 9 but that is very rare.

NoCAL
    thank you.

I have the grey Ethernet cable. Is that the issue? It worked with my gen 2 units.

14. Member
    Not an issue. Just wanted to be sure you took out the module and connected the two units together
    2B112175

15. Member
    Not an issue. Just wanted to be sure you took out the module and connected the two units together

yes I did.

I figured out the issue. The sonar network was turned off on my console hds 9. It works now… but now I just installed my psi-1 module and live sight on my trolling motor. I thought it plugged into my structure scan port, and not the sonar. I thought I could keep 2d but guess not.

16. Member
    If you l want 2D (and I think the unit is worthless without it) get a 9 pin HDI and connect it to the Structure port. Turn on Channel 2 and Multisource and you can get 2D sonar from the Structure port. Or ditch the Livesight and get an Active Target!

NoCAL
    2B112175

17. Member
    If you l want 2D (and I think the unit is worthless without it) get a 9 pin HDI and connect it to the Structure port. Turn on Channel 2 and Multisource and you can get 2D sonar from the Structure port. Or ditch the Livesight and get an Active Target!

NoCAL
    i didn’t Know I could run 2d through the structure scan port. Thanks for the info. I need the 7pin to 9 adapter, your saying?

im trying live view this year since I got it for a good price. Next year likely active target.
    Last edited by 98 Elite203; 08-09-2021 at 07:02 AM.

18. Member
    If you already have an HDI with a blue connector, then you need an adapter. If you purchase a black 9 pin HDI, it will connect right up. What I have never tried is a straight 2D transducer on the Structure port instead of an HDI. It should work but I’ve never tried it.

NoCAL
    2B112175

19. Member
    If you already have an HDI with a blue connector, then you need an adapter. If you purchase a black 9 pin HDI, it will connect right up. What I have never tried is a straight 2D transducer on the Structure port instead of an HDI. It should work but I’ve never tried it.

NoCAL
    I got the adapter today and I do have the hdi transducer. Setting it up now. Thanks for your help.

20. Member
    Just adding to NoCals excellent info.

HDI plugged directly to HDS Gen 1 or 2 will only provide 2D.
    HDI plugged directly to HDS Gen 2 Touch in the BLUE port will provide 2D and downscan. If plugged in the black port, it will only provide DownScan
    HDI plugged directly to HDS Gen 3 in the BLUE or BLACK port will provide 2D and downscan.
    HDI plugged directly to HDS Carbon or HDS Live will provide 2D and downscan regardless of port used (blue or black).

If the HDI has the BLUE connector and you wish to use it on HDS Live (or Elite FS/ Ti/ Ti2), you will need adapter 000-13313-001.

When using both HDI and a structurescan-transducer (like LSS-2, AI 2 in 1. TotalScan or AI 3in1) plugged directly to the same HDS Gen3/ Carbon or Live, DO NOT select HDI as 2D-transducer (Pages-Settings-Sonar-Installation). Select HST-WSBL instead as your HDS can onlu handle one structurescan-capable transducer.