Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toypuller View Post
    No way they will be evicted.

No government agency, on either side, will allow scores of people to become homeless.

There will be a last minute hand out, or court ruling, that puts taxpayers on the hook.

Have you heard of the homeless problem in SF. We're a long ways from November, so I wouldn't count on the Federal Gov't to do anything in 2 days. Now the states might step in.
    Thanos was the hero

2. Banned
    I pay utilities.
    I would have cut them off a long time ago!!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    I don't think you can legally do that.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    That's no bueno. I'm not legally allowed to cut utilities. Besides, I pay for water, sewer, gas and electric for the entire building. The units are not separately metered.

I factored in worst case use costs over 12 months, minus 20% divided by two, in to their leases.

I don't make much per month off the leases. What is made is rolled back in to the business account. I'll never see a dime from these units until I sell the buildings.

5. Member
    Some people fall on hard times and deserve a break but more often people try to play the system.. I had a rentor just stop paying even though she never lost her job.. In this state you have to have proof that you lost your job or the eviction memorandum doesnt apply to you.. she was evicted in early jan..I'm now garnishing her wages for the money she owes.

6. Member
    Owners are simply selling their properties here. No need to evict that way.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Owners are simply selling their properties here. No need to evict that way.
    Are you referring to the owners that are behind on mortgage payments?

8. Member
    Im not sure if they are behind or not Nitro? I know of at least two prior rentals here the owners just sold. In one case I know the Tennant was telling us they wanted to buy. BUT, the VA (VA Loans are a huge part of our market) will not finance over appraised value. Houses in my hood are selling for at least 40K over appraised value.

https://www.military.com/money/va-lo...mortgages.html

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    I have a duplex that I rent out. Renters on both sides of my duplex work hourly wage-type jobs. One works for a pizza place; the other works at a convenience store. Both single adults just trying to get by. When COVID hit and rent-relief was offerred up where it was made possible that they didn't have to pay their rent, I reached out to both of them and asked if there was anything I could do to help them. Both told me that they were doing ok and that they planned on continuing to pay. Over the last year and a half, one renter got behind on rent when she lost her job. She asked if I would give her a few weeks and I did. She got a stimulus check and paid me for her back rent and then paid the next month early to show me she was trying. She had a new job within a few days and has never asked me for a favor again. Her car was stolen at one point and she walked to work. She never one time asked me to let her skip.

There is lots of talk about people living off the dole and being just lazy. And many people nod their heads in agreement and talk about losers just staying home, not working and skipping out on rent. I am not saying that isn't happening somewhere.

But no one ever seems to mention the people that just keep on keeping on despite bad news and bad times. Both of my renters could have thrown their hands up. I had a friend tell me to kick out the one lady when she was a week behind because she had just learned that she could not pay and I would let her stay. Well she got back on her feet, offered to pay a late penalty to me (I didn't take it) and has paid every month since then.

Don't let the news tell you that this world is going to hell and that poor people are just leaches. A whole lot of people are trying really hard. I am pulling for them.
    Well stated.Thank you for a refreshing and positive story.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Im not sure if they are behind or not Nitro? I know of at least two prior rentals here the owners just sold. In one case I know the Tennant was telling us they wanted to buy. BUT, the VA (VA Loans are a huge part of our market) will not finance over appraised value. Houses in my hood are selling for at least 40K over appraised value.

https://www.military.com/money/va-lo...mortgages.html
    ok that makes sense. If they had a big run up in their property values then maybe just cash out. But if the renters are in arrears on rent they usually have to give a credit to the buyer for the back rent owed but then collecting is not the seller's problem.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Are you referring to the owners that are behind on mortgage payments?
    Right now is prime time to sell if you're getting out of the business. I've thought about it. I could easily make $300k if I sold both my buildings. But, I'm not ready to get out. Hell, I'm ready to buy another building for reno.

12. Moderator
    I got out completely, I’ve owned multiple properties over the years and always try and sell when someone has the money. I try to make my money on the front end and actual purchase of property. Price increases have kept me from rolling money over into to new places. I also paid utilities and mowed the yards to keep eyes on it. I gave 2 months of half rent got them to help me make the payment and give them relief. It’s going to get bumpy soon in my opinion

13. Member
    I have a duplex that I rent out. Renters on both sides of my duplex work hourly wage-type jobs. One works for a pizza place; the other works at a convenience store. Both single adults just trying to get by. When COVID hit and rent-relief was offerred up where it was made possible that they didn't have to pay their rent, I reached out to both of them and asked if there was anything I could do to help them. Both told me that they were doing ok and that they planned on continuing to pay. Over the last year and a half, one renter got behind on rent when she lost her job. She asked if I would give her a few weeks and I did. She got a stimulus check and paid me for her back rent and then paid the next month early to show me she was trying. She had a new job within a few days and has never asked me for a favor again. Her car was stolen at one point and she walked to work. She never one time asked me to let her skip.

There is lots of talk about people living off the dole and being just lazy. And many people nod their heads in agreement and talk about losers just staying home, not working and skipping out on rent. I am not saying that isn't happening somewhere.

But no one ever seems to mention the people that just keep on keeping on despite bad news and bad times. Both of my renters could have thrown their hands up. I had a friend tell me to kick out the one lady when she was a week behind because she had just learned that she could not pay and I would let her stay. Well she got back on her feet, offered to pay a late penalty to me (I didn't take it) and has paid every month since then.

Don't let the news tell you that this world is going to hell and that poor people are just leaches. A whole lot of people are trying really hard. I am pulling for them.
    Nice to see a positive story, showing the other side, which doesn’t get shown enough. Thank you. I agree, it shows me what your character is, very good, a kind and caring individual.

14. Member

Thanks for this positive story. There are a lot of good folks in this world and you are one of them.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.

--Voltaire

15. Will work for baits. Fish.Team.Rose's Avatar
    Ive got 2 to file my self saturday. Boys, were in trouble. Im selling my 2 worst performers. The market is about to dry up and its going to bite everyone on both sides.
    Keith Rose

In search of what was lost.

16. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish.Team.Rose View Post
    Ive got 2 to file my self saturday. Boys, were in trouble. Im selling my 2 worst performers. The market is about to dry up and its going to bite everyone on both sides.
    This.. I come out barely ahead. But ahead none the less.

That’s a great story. Yes, there are some deadbeats but there are a lot of people from every background that bust there butt and they can barely get by. I have watched some of the undercover boss stories and been embarrassed by some of my complaining when some of these people work two jobs busting their butt just to pay their bills. I know this won’t be popular with some but the minimum wage for a lot of workers in our country is an embarrassment also.

People like you are what makes this country great also. That was a great deed you did and you helped that person more than you’ll probably ever know.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    That’s a great story. Yes, there are some deadbeats but there are a lot of people from every background that bust there butt and they can barely get by. I have watched some of the undercover boss stories and been embarrassed by some of my complaining when some of these people work two jobs busting their butt just to pay their bills. I know this won’t be popular with some but the minimum wage for a lot of workers in our country is an embarrassment also.

People like you are what makes this country great also. That was a great deed you did and you helped that person more than you’ll probably ever know.
    Agreed, but likely for a different reason than you think. It's hard to say the government is using our tax money to skew the market and indeed peoples behaviors by paying them more and then say it's not skewing the market and indeed peoples behaviors on the other end with a "minimum."

Most people are good, most want the same things out of life, when we can't talk openly about stuff like this we are the oppressed. The term politically correct is a Marxist term.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/political-correctness

Thanks for sharing the great news Squib!!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Its going to be a viscous cycle, which will most likely kill the housing boom happening now.
    I fear you're right. It's going to be a sticky situation for sure.

This is really good and these are the people we should be helping.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast