Pulling tubes or skier

Whats required to pull a tube or skier behind a 522D. Looking for something that mounts higher than the strap down eyelets. I dont think just a pole that you see on some boats would be strong enough in the rear pole seat hole off the 522D but I could be wrong.

I am a second owner to a custom ordered Ranger that had a ski pole. There is a robust aluminum bracket under the floor with a pin and a tall solid aluminum pole with a ball on top that fit in a hole right behind the rear deck seat post. I cannot say if this can be installed after the fact. I removed all these parts and they’re collecting dust in the corner of my f
    garage. There is an aftermarket ski hoop that loops around the motor and anchors to the transom. Saw video of a guy installing on his tiller walleye boat. Looked like a more flexible solution IMHO.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

3. Member
    Turn in your man card...SB...
    2006 Ranger 188 VX with 150 E TEC and I EAT BASS!!!

4. Member
    I actually use the stap down eyelets, but when pulling a tube I use something like this:

It helps to keep the rope out of the water. It's not perfect but it works pretty well. My wife slalom skis most of the time and we have had no problems simply attaching the ski rope to a boat tow harness like this, which attaches to the strap down eyelets:

Yes the Ranger ski pole can be added, I had it done years ago when my 4 sons were young, but have since taken all stuff out , except the 2nd seat/pole hole that Ranger Dealer installed. The set up works great for any kind of skiing/tubing.
    Will not work if you have PP they get in the way.
    2001 Ranger 520DVX 225 mercury

HHC 14TH ENGINEERS COMBAT HEAVY
    FT.ORD ,CA
    US ARMY

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy/LGF View Post
    Yes the Ranger ski pole can be added,
    Will not work if you have PP they get in the way.
    This is a very good point! They also make seat plugs to fill these holes when not being used. They are all the same size so it fits the ski pole hole.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

7. Member
    I do have poles so the out side tie downs get in he way with a Y harness. I drilled and attached stainless eyebolts to the jack plate. Works fine with a Y harness and only pull couple times a yr if that. Prob just stick with what i have going. Would be nice to get it higher so its not pulling down so much on the tuber or skier but kids will just have to deal with it. LOL

I took my bracket out of my 198. Wanna buy it? It will never go back in.
    08 198VX Ranger Comanche w/200 Opti Finally!

9. Member
    I used the Y rope and the big ball setup for pulling the kids on the tube. It is a big 3 person tube and with a couple kids in the tube and a couple passengers in the boat my 250 Merc 4stroke really has to work. The boat is a 521vx. I have asked several people and they all said it’s is not going to hurt the engine but it just doesn’t feel right to work it that hard. I am gonna keep an eye out for a different prop, maybe a 5 blade. As stated above the power poles are kinda in the way and I did not realize it until I pulled the boat out and got home. The rope ends up smashing the spike into the bottom of the main channel. Just caused some cosmetic scuffs but keep an eye on it. Or pull the spikes out of the poles before ya go tubing.

10. Member
    I have a ski pylon like this one on my 86 395VS.... https://www.overtons.com/attwood-swi...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

the main pole went into the rear seat post hole and i mounted two small brackets on the stern..... easy to install and put on and take off. extremely solid. I'm 225lbs and slalom behind it.
    2018 Z520L 50th Anniversary - 250 Pro XS 2-Stroke SN - 2B527745 / Reman Powerhead Built 8/2021 SN - QSCS00380OS0