Carp On A Fly Pole

Didn’t want to derail another thread so I figure I’d do another one. Freshwater bonefish or golden bonefish. Incredibly fun to hunt and sight fish in the shallows. Also very spooky and a bad cast will send them all scooting away. Hook a good one on a 6wt or use an 8 if they tend to be over 10-12 lbs and it’s very common to get into your backing.

My son was playing for trouts up in CO and noticed some large carp lurking in the area. Next day after work he came with his (read MY 8 wt that I had been looking for) and nabbed this one. He needs a better camera man but since the net guy and the others were trout fishing there he couldn’t complain.

3EFF4C6A-2353-4912-B095-2F3623D123B1.jpeg

Nice catch they are fun on a fly rod for sure.

3. Moderator
    It’s something I have started looking into this year. I have yet to land one but I am getting closer and better at it. I got broke off a few weeks ago and foul hooked another that I lost. It’s amazing they are so easily spooked.

I have so many carp swimming in my local lake that are over 15 pounds it would be awesome to actually catch them!
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Very nice fish!

6. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I have so many carp swimming in my local lake that are over 15 pounds it would be awesome to actually catch them!
    There are lots of ways to catch them without a fly rod. Google carp dough balls and corn baits. You wouldn’t believe how hard a 15# carp will battle and pull. Get out there and try to catch one.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    There are lots of ways to catch them without a fly rod. Google carp dough balls and corn baits. You wouldn’t believe how hard a 15# carp will battle and pull. Get out there and try to catch one.
    A simple, light carolina rig and a crawler works well, too.

I'm really surprised more people aren't into carp fishing. They can be a challenging fish to fool, and fight like no other freshwater fish. I go for them once in a while...and enjoy it...sit on the bank, box of beer and a box of worms!!