BBC SPONSOR

USA 2 degree wedges installed.

I don't have much run time with them yet, but I do see top end improvements. 68% fuel, empty wells, hot humid evening with me and my tournament partner I finally hit 75. Thats the best I've ever got with me and my partner. Curious to see how they perform when its just me in the boat.

2. Member
    Which boat?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz1 View Post
    Which boat?
    Cx20

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    Cx20
    Yes. I have a cx 20.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    Yes. I have a cx 20.
    That's interesting i saw right at 77 with me at 265 and partner at 180 and 35% fuel back when the water was cooler with out wedges! Did you lose anything on hole shot, i talked with Earl about this, he didnt think you would gain much if anything.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    That's interesting i saw right at 77 with me at 265 and partner at 180 and 35% fuel back when the water was cooler with out wedges! Did you lose anything on hole shot, i talked with Earl about this, he didnt think you would gain much if anything.
    No I didn't notice any affect with my hole shot. Do you have the high speed livewell pick up on your boat? I do. I've heard from a Caymas dealer they will cost you a couple mphs. I also have lithium trolling batteries and makes my back end light. No matter what prop I've tried I always have ran out of trim. Also should be noted I carry a pretty heavy load. (I carry way to much tackle.) I go 250 and my partner is 170.
    Last edited by Buck456; 07-29-2021 at 05:43 PM.

7. Member
    No I didn't notice any affect with my hole shot. Do you have the high speed livewell pick up on your boat? I do. I've heard from a Caymas dealer they will cost you a couple mphs. I also have lithium trolling batteries and makes my back end light. No matter what prop I've tried I always have ran out of trim. Also should be noted I carry a pretty heavy load. (I carry way to much tackle.) I go 250 and my partner is 170.
    No on the high speed pickup and i also have four lithium Ionic batteries plus one AGM 31 for cranking. I have seen my best speed not trimmed out all the way with my 24 Fury stock prop.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    No on the high speed pickup and i also have four lithium Ionic batteries plus one AGM 31 for cranking. I have seen my best speed not trimmed out all the way with my 24 Fury stock prop.
    Thats interesting you say that. A friend of mine has a cx 20 and has told me the same thing. I was told mine was the 13th out of the mold. His is a 2021 model. Wonder what the difference is? If i trim down the least bit I loose speed.

9. Member
    Mine is also a 2021 model, not sure if any changes was made between 20 and 21 year models, I think Earl might have mentioned it if there were since we talked about this very subject of wedges!

10. Member
    9693B33B-97EF-49D8-8BE2-FD2C1B6F1D96.jpeg

Earl looked at mine and said that will cost you 2 mph and shook his head!!

11. BBC SPONSOR
    9693B33B-97EF-49D8-8BE2-FD2C1B6F1D96.jpeg

Earl looked at mine and said that will cost you 2 mph and shook his head!!
    I have the same mount as you do on the front of mine. Something must be a little different. I checked the prop slip calculator and I only have approximately 6% prop slip. The numbers I got was with a 25 pitch tempest + worked to a 24.5.

Looking at your picture I see you have a Lowrance trolling motor. I have an ultrex. Is the Lowrance lighter than the ultrex? If so that could be the difference.

12. Member
    I have the same mount as you do on the front of mine. Something must be a little different. I checked the prop slip calculator and I only have approximately 6% prop slip. The numbers I got was with a 25 pitch tempest + worked to a 24.5.

Looking at your picture I see you have a Lowrance trolling motor. I have an ultrex. Is the Lowrance lighter than the ultrex? If so that could be the difference.
    Not positive but i do think the Lowrance is a little lighter. I remember when they first came out with the Ultrex from the testing at Ranger there was 2 mph difference in speed !!

I have a 26 Fury that's worked real good on my Rangers that i tried but it was after the heat got here, rmps were close but two mph slower, maybe after the heat leaves i can try them on the same day. To darn hot in Ky to be fooling with props for an old man

13. Member
    Here's my 2¢. You guys are throwing off the balance with heavy trolling motors on the bow, 2 depth finders then all the tackle in center box then lithium s in the stern. Try moving your soft plastics and sinkers behind you and see what happens. The props are having trouble carrying the bow with the lighter sterns.
    JMHO

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    Here's my 2¢. You guys are throwing off the balance with heavy trolling motors on the bow, 2 depth finders then all the tackle in center box then lithium s in the stern. Try moving your soft plastics and sinkers behind you and see what happens. The props are having trouble carrying the bow with the lighter sterns.
    JMHO
    I have always carried my heavy tackle in the real compartments rods and reels with a few small boxes up front. You don't have any choice as far as weight on the trolling motor, Earl designed these boats to run with heavy loads i can tell you that from the horses mouth itself!!

15. BBC SPONSOR
    I have always carried my heavy tackle in the real compartments rods and reels with a few small boxes up front. You don't have any choice as far as weight on the trolling motor, Earl designed these boats to run with heavy loads i can tell you that from the horses mouth itself!!
    I've also always carried my heavy tackle in the rear compartments.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    JMHO
    No problem at all running my bow high matter of fact it can get to high and lose mph, never had to use full trim to get my 78 mph.

17. Member
    Great thread! I have a 2021 CX21, so will be a bit different, but I'm curious on thoughts. I too have 4 Ionic + crank battery and load most tackle in the lockers on the back deck. I have a Ghost trolling motor and 2 12" Lives upfront. I run with the Lives set flat to try to minimize wind drag, but I'm sure they are costing me a couple mph. So far, I can get 71.2 mph fully loaded with two 220lb guys. The best by myself has been 73.4mph, but I haven't been able to replicate it. That was before I switched out lead acid trolling motor batteries for the 3 Ionics. In my case, I run out of trim at 5.5 on the Merc and have the Atlas Jackplate at around 2 (no gauge, just 0-6 markings on the jackplate). I am only getting 5860 on rpms with 24 Fury stock prop. It seems like we loose speed if we trim down or move the jackplate. Also tried running with live wells full and it didn't seem to matter. Thinking of installing the 2 degree wedges as well. I guess my biggest question is around the jackplate setting. Where do you guys get your best performance?

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by papatuel View Post
    Great thread! I have a 2021 CX21, so will be a bit different, but I'm curious on thoughts. I too have 4 Ionic + crank battery and load most tackle in the lockers on the back deck. I have a Ghost trolling motor and 2 12" Lives upfront. I run with the Lives set flat to try to minimize wind drag, but I'm sure they are costing me a couple mph. So far, I can get 71.2 mph fully loaded with two 220lb guys. The best by myself has been 73.4mph, but I haven't been able to replicate it. That was before I switched out lead acid trolling motor batteries for the 3 Ionics. In my case, I run out of trim at 5.5 on the Merc and have the Atlas Jackplate at around 2 (no gauge, just 0-6 markings on the jackplate). I am only getting 5860 on rpms with 24 Fury stock prop. It seems like we loose speed if we trim down or move the jackplate. Also tried running with live wells full and it didn't seem to matter. Thinking of installing the 2 degree wedges as well. I guess my biggest question is around the jackplate setting. Where do you guys get your best performance?
    This can depend on what hole your motor is mounted to your jackplate. I had my motor lowered on my cx 20. It's mounted as low as it can go. Before my jack plate was useless with a fury prop. If I raised it any and I would loose speed. Could only raise my motor a little with a tempest plus. Had them drop the motor and now I have some room to try different motor heights.

If you run out of trim then I bet the wedges will help you.

19. Member
    Good call on engine mounting holes. Mine is mounted with two holes open, i.e. I can drop the engine two holes to get to the bottom. I think I am going to order the 2 degree wedges based on reports on the other related thread. Sounds like those guys picked up 2-3 mph. I'm getting 71 now and with engine lowered and wedges, could possibly get 73 - 74, which is what I was hoping/expecting.