At 70 years old and 100 pounds over weight hopeless??

I lost 97 pounds back in 2012 to prepare for retirement, got down to 168 and felt better than i had in 20 years and swore that i would not gain it back, then after 5 years being retired back right where i was, about to lose hope on ever getting it off again just love to eat ice cream, cheeseburgers and steak!!!

Sore ankles, my blood sugar going up (on metformin two a day), back problems and early grave if i don't do anything, anything one out there at my age with these problems.

Very similar situation here. I had lost slightly over 100 pounds over the past five or six years and was on my way 150 pounds off. Then comes March 2020 and the quarantine and I retired and started sitting around the house eating all the goodies my wife baked and eating takeout food. I put back on 30 pounds, developed a problem with my foot that’s going to require surgery, and lost a lot of core and leg strength. I’ve hit the brakes on the weight gain by just NOT bringing in cookies and candy that is easy to graze on and eating fresh fruit instead, also dragging the stationary bicycle out of the back bedroom and riding that. I have lost about 7 of the 30 pounds but it sure comes off harder than it went on.

The only advice I can give is to just take it one day at a time. Don’t give up today because you ate a double cheeseburger, fries and a Frosty yesterday. I like to weigh everyday. This keeps me in focus of trends up and down. I have fought my weight most of my life and have found my secret to weight loss is to make small adjustments that make a big difference over time. Stay away from trend diets that have books with the name of the diet. For example; snack on fruit instead of cookies and candy. Instead of a cheeseburger try a grilled chicken sandwich and skip the fries..or go to Wendy’s and get a baked potato. Treat yourself to some ice cream, just don’t eat a 1/2 gallon every few days. I started using a coffee cup for ice cream instead of a bowl to cut down on the quantity. If you’re able to take walks (I can’t for any distance), then start small. I have a small neighborhood park a block from my house. Before my foot/ankle problem, I started out by walking just to the park and back…that was all I could handle. After a week or so I was able to walk around the park and soon I was walking all around the neighborhood doing a couple of miles. I use my Apple Watch to keep track of my activity level.
    Good luck.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

3. Member
    That's about the way i lost weight before but i hit the gym real hard, i was doing 5 miles a day on the thread mill, 250 set ups on the exercise ball holding two 25 pound bar bells across my chest plus doing some curls, just don't have the energy to go at it that way, may do as you said start slow!!

Thanks

Rodney,

I completely understand your dilemma. My story is similar, I had allowed my weight to increase over the past few years to an unmanageable 338 lbs. (5’11” tall) to the point that fishing and riding my Harley was difficult and uncomfortable. I’m 66 years old and became motivated 151 days ago on March 25, 2021. I jumped on the KETO band wagon, i just weighed in this morning at 269 lbs. that’s a loss of 68 lbs. in 151 days. I have another 19 lbs to lose to reach my target weight of 250 lbs. I will have absolutely no problems reaching that goal. Then the maintenance work begins… for exercise I walk briskly for 45 minutes to an hour everyday. That’s it. Try keto for a couple of weeks, you will see and feel the difference. Good luck!!!
    ……Ranger Randy 521c

5. Member
    Eat your cheeseburger, just not the bun. Skip the baked potato or fries and eat a salad or some other green vegetable. Enjoy that steak, just don't eat the 12oz, only eat 6.
    Much easier to put it on than get it off, start taking a walk after your meal rather than sitting in front of the TV.