175 Johnson won’t start

I have tried numerous things. I have did plugs and wires. Drained all gas and out new gas in. The oil injector was taken out and I mix 50:1 I can get the boat running by heating the plugs and squirting some gas in each cylinder and it will usually start back a couple times before it fouls out the plugs again. I’m using champion l77jc4 plugs. It’s a 175 Johnson on an 88 bullet.

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Model number please

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    J175tlcur I’m not sure if that’s all of it but there is a part rubbed off

4. Member
    What year is motor?

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That would be a 1987

6. Member
    Great to find out. It will start and run with new plugs till they just finally stop working. Would it be my plugs that’s messing up? Or what else could it be?

7. Member
    Now I'm not 100% sure on that motor so you'll need the service manual but with mine the minimum cranking rpm is 250. Anything less it won't generate a spark. Might want to try hooking a fresh battery to the starter and double check the connections.

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Need more history/details......

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Not giving much to go on. Has it ran good then this happened/started all of a sudden-gradually? Has it always done this? Just get the motor? Does it run on the water for awhile until it ?happens or quickly, on the muffs? What plugs you have in it? (Should be gapped at .030.....if you have to squirt gas(hope it is a 50:1 mixture with oil or you can damage motor) to get it to run then maybe not getting enough fuel. Have you disconnected the fuel line after the pump and cranked to verify pulse pumps working? You can crank for a few minutes and then remove carb drain plug on each side of carbs and see if fuel comes out. What do you mean by heating plugs? Need some more history and details to help.....

10. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    Now I'm not 100% sure on that motor so you'll need the service manual but with mine the minimum cranking rpm is 250. Anything less it won't generate a spark. Might want to try hooking a fresh battery to the starter and double check the connections.
    Probably wouldnt hurt to insure cranking battery is good.

11. Member
    I just got the boat from my neighbor. He never figured it out so he sold it to me fairly cheap. I just got some new plugs and it fired up and I trimmed it up and it killed it. And wouldn’t start back. I will have to take the plugs out and squirt fuel in each cylinder to get it running again. I’ll post the model number below. Batteries are also good. So batteries is out of the question

12. Member
    J175tlcur is all I have on the model number.
    Serial number is :r7500697

13. Member
    Also the electronic fuel pump is working great. And what I meant by heating the plugs is taking them out and holding a lighter to them for a few moments and then squirting my 50:1 fuel in each cylinder and it fired right up and runs great. No misses or anything.

14. Member
    I get the motor running great until I get it to the water then it won’t start. One guy told me it could be a research system whatever that is.

15. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Electric fuel pump???? Should have a VRO . Who and why was an electric pump put on? 2 things/safety issue-fire risk and most have too much fuel pressure and can blow the needle off the seats. The recirculation system is 6 check valves on the front of the intake that recirculate puddled fuel in reed boxes to the main bearings and helps idle. If bad, could kill the motor when trimmed up. You aren't running out of fuel but flooding it. Thats why you heat the plugs to clean them(never heard of that). You need to get a real OMC service and get familiar with your engine before you go any further. Sounds like you inherited someone else nightmare. Need to get the right pumps-pumps on it/verify fuel pressure and then maybe go thru carbs. Check and service recirc system. Change out any fuel filters and separator's. Replace all fuel lines if original(back then they used non ethanol resistant lines and caused issues with ethanol fuels.) GET A MANUAL AND READ IT!

This shows fuel/intake system, item 7 are recirc valves---

https://www.boats.net/catalog/johnso...ntake-manifold

This shows fuel pump and components--

https://www.boats.net/catalog/johnso...tlcua/vro-pump

16. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Need to get one system at a time back in working order and get any mods/hacks off that where installed by the previous owner. Hard to work around them, get a service manual and get familiar with it. Post up some pics of the pump and fuel system.