Outboard Motors to Look For in 2021

Hello,
    I have looked through several different sites on which outboard motors were good/bad already. Assuming the compression test and Leak Down Test are good what would be some motors to look for and ones to avoid. My budget right now is probably 8-12k and probably be between 1985-2010 years. I have also thought if the hull was good for bass fishing and the motor was not that great I might be able to get a new motor down the road also. Open to opinions :)

Would a Johnson/Evinrude still be serviced today and could you find parts easily anymore. A lot of the older boats such as late 90's Stratos/Rangers have older Johnson/Evinrude/Mercury's on them. I am new to outboards and trying to get somewhat of an idea of what a reliable motor will be. I do not need anything extremely fast either. I was thinking anything between a 70-150hp would do me fine as long as the motor was reliable and I did the preventative maintenance.

Thanks!

2. Member
    Avoid Force and FICHT...The rest of the motors from Yamaha, Merc and OMC are pretty reliable as long as they've been taken care of...Yamaha ProV, Merc XR6 or EFI, FastStrike etc can all last a real long time as long as they haven't been abused or neglected. Just make sure you get it checked out. If you can find something with an Opti or HPDI have them pull any codes, they're great motors but are a little more sensitive to neglect and the fuel/oil that's been run in them.

First thing I've done with every used boat I've bought is change the plugs, wires, water pump and LU gear lube. I'll also drain whatever gas came in it and start with fresh. Usually also a good idea to change the fuel lines and bulb.

3. Member
    Right now I have a 15.5 Challenger with a 70HP 1986 Johnson on it. I would like to upgrade and this was my first boat as well. I did change the spark plugs, replaced all fuel lines with Gates, fuel filter, removed the VRO pump and installed a OMC fuel pump, celenoid, rebuilt all 3 carbs, bulb, re-carpeted, new seats. When I checked the compression it showed 131/131/130, but I feel it still does not idle the way it should.

I am trying to get familiar with the models and what I should be looking for. I do not plan to purchase until the fall and hopefully sell the boat I have in the process. Thanks for the input!!!

Kevin

4. Member
    I would stay clear of Evinrudes. Why, well who the heck works on them any more? Most dealers that were screwed over when evinrude went belly up the first time learned a lesson, don't sell evinrudes. Google evinrude and see what pops up in your area. Personally, maybe Honda or another import, Tohatsu built or might even build Merc's. I've seen smoking deals on left over merc's at bass pro, an option??
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

5. Member
    That is what I am afraid of the Evinrudes. I would not even be opposed to purchasing a new motor if I could find a good deal on another hull I like for a descent price. Around here I see a lot of Mercs and Yamaha's seems like. Did Johnson go under when Evinrude did? Then I have to ask myself should I go 4 stroke or 2 stroke.

Thanks!

6. Member
    Not sure how I put this topic in Bass Boat Restoration, if an admin could put it in the correct forum it would be great.
    Kevin

7. Member
    I went to repower a 30 hp Mercury last week. 6-8 months wait time. I have a buddy who guides on Ft. Peck in Montana he ordered a 300 Yamaha for his guide boat in May. He said the dealer just got an email from Yamaha delivery anticipated next April 2022. Things sure are a mess right now.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

8. Member
    Wow, that sounds like the situation I am in with one of my boat seats. I wish I had ordered 2 to begin with instead of 1. Crazy for sure wgammill.