Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving after 28 years!

Amazing how much stuff and junk you can collect! It’s a nightmare! We have only 24 hours after we sign on the dotted line to be gone! Moving what we can now but leaving the absolute essential things. I have a 32x48 shop and a 18x20 two level barn type building. Both were full as I would except. Taking a short break and getting back to it. Kinda thinking I made a mistake selling but wearing myself out keeping up two homes. If I make it through this move it will be my last. Plus it’s pretty hot ( 98 ) with humidity off the charts.

I did the same exact thing. I'm 63 and keeping up 3 houses was wearing me out. I sold 2 of them and I still can't seem to keep up on chores. Good luck on your move.

3. Member
    I know all too well how that goes, two years ago we sold our home of 41 years in the Bay Area and moved to Modesto. We decided to start fresh, new furniture, dishware, linens everything. My wife is a bit of a hoarder, she had clothes and shoes that she has not worn for 30 years. I told her anything that she has not worn or used for the last two years had to go. I had quite a bit of junk in my garage and one shed that all went. I hired a junk co. to haul it all away they had to use two good sized box trucks. We gave away tons of stuff to neighbors and Good Will. We ended up only needing three pickup loads to move what we saved.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

You only have 24 hours to move after closing? That's nuts...why would you agree to that kind of timetable? Isn't the normal time frame 30 days after closing?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    You only have 24 hours to move after closing? That's nuts...why would you agree to that kind of timetable? Isn't the normal time frame 30 days after closing?
    Not sure what normal timeframe is, but my wife and I had to have all our stuff out and the place clean for the new owners to move in by the morning after our closing. From our understanding, that was normal. Fortunately we were moving into a new construction home and the builders let us bring a bunch of stuff over a few days beforehand and keep it in the garage until we could officially move in.

6. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Amazing how much stuff and junk you can collect! It’s a nightmare! We have only 24 hours after we sign on the dotted line to be gone! Moving what we can now but leaving the absolute essential things. I have a 32x48 shop and a 18x20 two level barn type building. Both were full as I would except. Taking a short break and getting back to it. Kinda thinking I made a mistake selling but wearing myself out keeping up two homes. If I make it through this move it will be my last. Plus it’s pretty hot ( 98 ) with humidity off the charts.
    It's definitely nasty out there today, Ronald.

Good luck with the move and as our friend Lew always says, "Stay hydrated."
    Who controls John Gill?

7. Member
    24 hours would be insanity having just gone through a move myself. Hopefully you were able to have a big head start before the clock started
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

8. Member
    I would think you could spell out how long you had to move in the contingencies correct?

As soon as we "signed" the papers, the buyer had the rights to the house. I put signed in quotes because we presigned at the same time we signed for our new house. We loaded up the trailers the night before and had them ready to go. As soon as my wife and I walked out of the closing office, we called my parents and they started hauling stuff to the new house. We presigned on the closing of our old house so we didn't have to go back, but the new owners signed the next morning and took possession. There was no month to get out. We started packing everything as soon as we had a contract and had everything in boxes in our garage. Backed the trailers in the garage and loaded up. Took about 4 hours to move. That was 8 years ago, it would take us a month to move now.

Are you moving to your lake property, Ron?

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

11. Member
    Based on my 6 relocations, normally 30 days to close after offer acceptance. But unless negotiated as part of the deal, possession transfers at closing or in some cases on funding, which can take 24 hours.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    As soon as we "signed" the papers, the buyer had the rights to the house. I put signed in quotes because we presigned at the same time we signed for our new house. We loaded up the trailers the night before and had them ready to go. As soon as my wife and I walked out of the closing office, we called my parents and they started hauling stuff to the new house. We presigned on the closing of our old house so we didn't have to go back, but the new owners signed the next morning and took possession. There was no month to get out. We started packing everything as soon as we had a contract and had everything in boxes in our garage. Backed the trailers in the garage and loaded up. Took about 4 hours to move. That was 8 years ago, it would take us a month to move now.
    This. The new owners take possession at the closing; one needs to plan and pack ahead of time.

13. Member
    I just went through this, way more stuff than I thought I had. I had the bright idea to move all the boxes & small items, probably the biggest thing I moved was the TVs, rented a 6x12 Uhaul (took 4 loads with it) and hired movers for all the big stuff (w/ 2hrs work). Well, don't do as I did... Hire movers to move EVERYTHING! It'll be the best money you've ever spent.

14. Moderator
    It would take forever just to pack my fishing gear.

15. Member
    We moved 3 times in 3 years. It sucked. Each time I had to get larger moving equipment. 24 hours would not work for me. Just no way.
    GETFISHED !!!

If you had 30 days to move out after you sold a home would you not have to rent it back from the owner or am I missing something?

17. Member
    Just the reason I dont want to move, moving all my crap!

18. Member
    New owners take possession at closing after they sign the papers they are given the keys. Never heard of having time to move out. I have a bunch of stuff and I'm not going to deal with it. I've moved for the last time ext stop will be the graveyard. I keep telling my two boys they are going to have to deal with it and if they want they can get a early start.
    John the Garage Doorman

You only have 24 hours to move after closing?
    Not sure how things work in Ohio, but everywhere I've ever lived once the house closes they don't own it anymore. You either need to be completely out when it closes or make arrangements with the new owner to rent until you can finish vacating.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

20. Member
    I moved from Tx to NC and we managed pretty well not to obtain junk we didn't need so we were able to move light. We bought a farm and now that we did, we have a lot of crap. I began renting a dumpster annually to get rid of junk so it doesn't accumulate on us when we downsize in 30 years LOL
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast