Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help setting up my new Z20

Hi Guys,

I just got my new Z20 about 7 months ago and have been learning the new driver curve. I went from a 180FS with and 150 to a 2021 Z20 with a 250 Four stroke. The boat over all is amazing. I'm having some issues with Chinewalk at about 70mph. I'm just trying to get the best performance matched with speed I can but I cant drive through the walk. Maybe its just me and more seat time is what I need I don't know. I usually run a full tournament load. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Note if this is all I can get out of it then it is what it is. Please only Z20 owners respond. All boats are different so other adjustments wont apply if its a different boat. Thanks

Here is my Boat specs
    2021 Z20
    250 Merc 4 stroke
    24 3 blade fury
    3" prop to pad
    5800 rpm at 70mph walks bad after that.

Thanks Everyone
    Nitro

2. Member
    I have a 2019 Z20 I purchased last September and I too couldn't get past the chine walk at 70.

i keep it trimmed no more than the first quarter mark on the gauge once on plane. I am hitting 73-74 right now. I have not been confident to keep on going higher than that for now. I have not been on Clear lake yet to open it up and hold it WOT. My lake is narrow.

When it starts to walk, back off on the trim then push it back up slowly.

Also if you trim up to fast, then it porpoise.

I have 12" manual jack plate that is closer to 2,5" pad to prop

I think my RPMs are at 6000 WOT

Everything else is the same comparing your boat with mine.

Congrats on the new boat

3. Member
    Curious…. Do you have a dual console? Or Single?

Quote Originally Posted by TS Nitro View Post
    Hi Guys,

I just got my new Z20 about 7 months ago and have been learning the new driver curve. I went from a 180FS with and 150 to a 2021 Z20 with a 250 Four stroke. The boat over all is amazing. I'm having some issues with Chinewalk at about 70mph. I'm just trying to get the best performance matched with speed I can but I cant drive through the walk. Maybe its just me and more seat time is what I need I don't know. I usually run a full tournament load. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Note if this is all I can get out of it then it is what it is. Please only Z20 owners respond. All boats are different so other adjustments wont apply if its a different boat. Thanks

Here is my Boat specs
    2021 Z20
    250 Merc 4 stroke
    24 3 blade fury
    3" prop to pad
    5800 rpm at 70mph walks bad after that.

Thanks Everyone
    Nitro

4. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I'm going to take it out in a few days and I have raised the jackplate 1/4 inch so that will put me about 2 3/4 prop to pad. ill see what direction that takes and maybe go up another 1/4 inch if it improves. If I could see 74 I would be really happy. Thanks for the info. I thought I might be trimming to much and to fast. Ill be on the Delta next week lots of river to play with it more and hopefully get what I'm looking for.

5. Member
    I have a Dual Console

6. Member
    2021 z20 here. It starts to walk at 70 plus, but I have a Hydraulic jackplate so I can raise it to help eliminate it. Loaded down, 70 is about what it will run. If it's just me solo I can cruise at about 72. If the lake is choppy, that isn't happening though.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Shimanek View Post
    2021 z20 here. It starts to walk at 70 plus, but I have a Hydraulic jackplate so I can raise it to help eliminate it. Loaded down, 70 is about what it will run. If it's just me solo I can cruise at about 72. If the lake is choppy, that isn't happening though.
    That’s been my experience. Went 73-74 during break in, but loaded I’ve only cracked 70 a few times. Interestingly, mine seems to actually run a bit faster with two people, I think it just balances out better.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

8. Member
    Keep in mind that in the summer when the air and water are warm/hot, boats will run slower. Less dense air = less power.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

9. Member
    I run close to the same speed with weight. Passenger gas and water in the live well. Crazy drive with light load.that hull is very trim sensitive.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZcal2021 View Post
    Curious…. Do you have a dual console? Or Single?
    Single console currently

Double post, deleted...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

2021 Z20 w/250hp.....

The boat is going to chine walk at max speed and trim. You can try different jack plate heights, props, trim, moving weight around in boat, etc. But if you are hauling ass in this boat, it is going to chine walk. To control it or better yet "prevent it" you need to balance the boat on the small amount of pad in contact with the water at WOT and trim. It is with very slight steering adjustment. When you see the boat leaning to the right, make a very small steering correction to the left. Visa-Versa.... Start practicing at the upper 60's when if first starts to walk. Once you get the hang of it at that speed move up a few mph and get used to it again. Before you know it you will be able to drive any fast bass boat....

Mine has topped out at 76.5 mph in the spring with at light load and only me in the boat. Now that I have added 2 talons that dropped me down to 74 or so. During the summer with all of my tournament gear 1/2-3/4 tank of fuel and my fishing partner and all his stuff, we are lucky to get 68 mph. And it doesn't want to chine walk under that load and speed.

If you are ever in the KC area, I will be happy to help out with the figuring out the chine walk.

Good luck.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

oops, sorry for the double post....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

14. Member
    I forgot to add 2 ten foot talons on mine. You didn't mention talons or power poles on OP

15. Member
    Thanks for all of the input guys I really appreciate it.

Nitro

16. Member
    Your speeds are about right. Getting the load balanced will help. Low 70s loaded is as good as it will do. Alone with a light load it will go faster. They are sensitive to trimming to quickly. Really great boat for fishing
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

17. Member
    Anyone drop down to a 23p fury? Mine is maxing out around 70 loaded at around or just under 5800 rpm. Curious if it would be worth it getting the prop worked on and slightly pitched down by croxton (also has a few minor dings to get repaired).

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Anyone drop down to a 23p fury? Mine is maxing out around 70 loaded at around or just under 5800 rpm. Curious if it would be worth it getting the prop worked on and slightly pitched down by croxton (also has a few minor dings to get repaired).
    Mark can't lower the pitch on a Fury prop so you'd need to get an actual 23 is what he told me.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBolton View Post
    Mark can't lower the pitch on a Fury prop so you'd need to get an actual 23 is what he told me.
    Too bad. I don’t really think I could justify buying a 23 pitch just for the off chance of a mph. I know sometimes you don’t even gain that speed getting closer to the redline. I am eventually going to swap my trolling batteries for lithium and I rarely run around with less than a 3/4 tank full of fuel. Guessing if I ran the tank down and got the lighter batteries in I’d be closer to redline. That or screw up my weight distribution by being too light in the back end lol.

20. Member
    Last summer I ran a few different props on a Z20 with a 250 pro xs4. All of the props were stock except for the 24 bravo. The 24 bravo had four 5/16 holes drilled in it, it was balanced and had added tip cup on the blades. I will list the props along with top speed, rpm's and prop to pad. 24 bravo 71.0, 5760, 1.5 inches below. acceleration from breakover to 66mph would set you back in the seat, as soon as it broke over the trim could be raised it's full trim position. 23 revolution4 72.2, 5740, 2.0 This prop was a little slower on the hole shot from what the bravo did, slower in the midrange, but was able to run faster on the top end. I was calling it a 4 blade tempest because of the way it ran and handled. At 69 mph all the steering wheel was for was to point the boat in the direction you wanted it to go. By far the best driving prop that I have ever seen. 23 fury 72.8, 5920, 2.75 Only ran this prop a couple of times. 24 fury 75.2, 5960, 2.5 These numbers were from April when it was cooler. This was with about 7 hrs. on motor. Holeshot was just as good with the 24 fury as the 23 fury. 24 tempest 72.6, 5940, 2.25. Easier to drive than the fury props. hole shot almost as good as fury, but much slower getting up to speed. 23 bravo Lt 69.6, 6160, 2.25. This wasn't enough pitch, numbers are against the current of about 20,000. Prop lifted the boat out of the water good, acceleration was very good, but due to the rpms was unable to run engine as high as should have been and was unable to trim up any higher.24 fury4 72.4, 6040, 2.25. Hope this will help some when you go to selecting props. I am currently running a 24 fury and a 25 bravo XS. For those that have a Z8 the 25 fury4 is an excellent prop for that rig, only about 2mph slower than a 25 fury and gets the boat out of the water when running 30 to 55 mph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast