Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I got my ZT Gravely in 2018. Came form a JD tractor style. I wish I had made the switch a lot sooner. ZT cost more but it's worth it IMO. Cutting grass isn't boring on a ZT.

2. Banned
    Level up and get a greens mower. ZT's are for the birds

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    If it’s flat, zero turn, if it’s hilly at all, any steep banks, go with the riding mower. I mow a half acre with a small Skag. My zero turn gets stuck very easy, that’s one drawback and they aren’t good on anything very steep. I’ve scared myself a couple of times, once the front end, which is pretty light, swung around on a bank and fortunately I knew to just go with it and down the bank I went. Second, I was dumb and went up a fairly steep bank and rear tires started spinning and then they caught traction and next thing I know the front end is pointing up and luckily the Scag has some bars at the rear which kept it from flipping over backwards. Both times it was my fault, just being lazy and trying to save time and not use my push mower on a section.
    THIS ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Billdoe708 View Post
    I just got one. Sweet machine
    same, handles hills good. no complaints. Spartan good machine.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    I will never mow with a tractor again............................................. .
    Amen. ZTR mower is the greatest invention ever made for mowing the yard. NEVER a tractor again.

6. Banned
    Glad I didn't read this thread before I bought mine. Slopes and hills are no problem if you use common sense.

i have a Bad Boy, got it this year, I will never have a tractor again!
    I cut my mowing time by 2/3 and looks I5x better.
    As far as hills, I live in the mountains and havent had any problems.
    Greg Haberkorn (Habby)
    2018 Ranger Z521L
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS - 2B738680

I have a 61" Ferris zero turn and my 2.5 acres has some steep hills that I mow with it. Put some ag tires on a zero turn if you have hills. Makes a huge difference in traction. And Ferris zero turns have suspension for a smooth ride.

9. Banned
    There is ZERO chance I'd choose a rider!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsoonerfan View Post
    Glad I didn't read this thread before I bought mine. Slopes and hills are no problem if you use common sense.
    This. I can mow steeper slopes with my ZTR than I could with my JD 210.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsoonerfan View Post
    Hehehe.... of course. A zero WILL mow ANY slope a lawn tractor will. We do it all the time and have for 20 years. Now, with BOTH you've got to have common sense.

Of course, by stating facts, I'm trying to start a fight.....😉

12. Member
    We have 2 60" Big Dog zero turns. One X1060 and one Diablo. Great mowers made by the same folks make Hustlers. We cut + or - 8 acres and can cut it in 1 hour 45 minutes. Right now we are cutting every 5 days. I tried to cut the 5 acre plot with a Kubota tractor with a cab and a 72" finish mower. Took about 3 hours from hook up to unhook to cut it. The tractor and finish mower just wouldn't cut at the ground speed of a zero turn plus the turning I was going over the same ground multiple times. I sold the finish mower and bought the 2nd Big Dog. We use a 4 wheeler to pull trailers or whatever around the yard. FWIW we don't have a lot to cut around. House, shop, pool, barn & a few trees. It is nice knowing we can come home from work or the lake and knock it out. Before it had too much control over our weekends.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123