Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We have one of each. Mow about 5 acres in total. The zero turn gets used 95% of the time. I find the zero turn is much easier on my legs and back. The steering wheel model takes more effort.
    The zero turn is much faster due to its ability to turn/backup and keep mowing. As an example our front yard is about 1/2 acres. Takes me about 1/2 hour to mow with the zero turn. Steering wheel mower takes 45 minutes. Both mowers are 54" decks.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

Zero turns are like diesel trucks. As long as you never use one, you won’t know what you’re missing. Take either one for a spin and a gas truck or regular lawn tractor will never ever blow your skirt up again.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by btlsranger View Post
    This is a fact.
    Respectfully, truly, it's no "fact"..... I've driven ZD21's and 28's up the same slopes I can my lawn tractors and they are at least as safe if not safer. They are heavy commercial mowers, with low COG's....heavy duty welded 60"/72" decks respectfully....so low COG and wide base. They are both running diesel engines, 21hp/28hp, and will pull a boat as well, but, I use my Rhino or diesel mule to pull stuff around most of the time.

4. TJNYSNP
    Some thoughts:

zero turn for larger lawns and should not have any steep hills

regular tractor mower if you want to buy a wagon to pull stuff around with as a tractor

5. Member
    If you like to sip adult beverages while mowing then get a tractor style, Zero turns require two hands.

Now, that's an advantage I haven't seen mentioned before. I just have 1/3 acre with nothing much to mow around, so a tractor style is good enough for me. Steerable front wheels are nicer going down hills. Those zero turns are sexier though, but they can leave a divot on soft turf when making a zero turn, if that wheel isn't rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Kboater View Post
    If you like to sip adult beverages while mowing then get a tractor style, Zero turns require two hands.

7. Banned

LOL! The guy told me my new ZT would cut my mowing time by at least half. Little did he know I would have to stop every 30 min for a cold one.

The drunker you get, the easier they are to steer with one hand lol.

9. Member
    Just traded in my John Deere 915b zero turn in on a John Deere X590. The Zero Turn is great on Flat and Smooth lawns. But if you have any slopes, or uneven terrain, then the lawn tractor is superior.

The New JD X Series has Power steering, makes a huge difference. Plus Fuel injected Kawasaki engines. I feel like I've upgraded by going back to a lawn tractor.

10. Member
    I have 2 John Deere diesel tractors, both with 54 inch decks. I mow 8 properties. I can never understand most of the times shown in here for mowing with a tractor. I can mow 2 3/4 acres in an hour and 15 minutes. I would never give up the versatility of a tractor for a zero turn.

My neighbor has the same style of lot that I do. 2 Acres, pretty flat. He cuts with a ~50" Kubota tractor, takes about 2 hours. I tried to convince him to get a zero turn and his reply was, "then I couldn't drink a beer while cutting." Right after that, we started cutting grass about the same time and I finished after 50 minutes then sat in my driveway in a lawn chair drinking beer while he cut for another hour. Every now and then he'd flip me off.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    I have 2 John Deere diesel tractors, both with 54 inch decks. I mow 8 properties. I can never understand most of the times shown in here for mowing with a tractor. I can mow 2 3/4 acres in an hour and 15 minutes. I would never give up the versatility of a tractor for a zero turn.
    Are you referencing an actual tractor or a "riding lawn mower?" A cheaper zero turn residential unit our a more expensive light commercial/commercial unit?

My range is over 10 acres, with 7 of it in turf height grass (whole property is 30). It takes a LOT longer to mow with an actual tractor and considerably longer (probably double) with either lawn tractor.

In fact, my short game area/wedge range is a lil over 1 acre and I can mow it, in reasonably dry conditions, in 15 to 20 minutes....and that's piddling around adjusting heights, etc. A zero turn is WAY faster than a lawn tractor, to argue anything different is ridiculous. Why do you think PROFESSIONAL lawn services use zero turns virtually 100%?

"Versatility?" I can and do pull anything and everything with my zero turn that my 2 lawn tractors can pull (and then some....diesel is pretty powerful) We drag tubs full of range balls (several thousand balls) around in a cart that's attached to a zero turn.

"Wedge range"
    IMG_20190815_201005216.jpg

Now, if by versatility you're referencing a commercial unit with box blades, etc etc etc. that are capable of grading a road, attaching a loader to, etc then you're 100% correct (you have to be). But, again, I have 2 Kubota "landscape" tractors (an L2900 and a 3830 both with buckets) that will get the job done much more efficiently and much quicker than any light duty commercial lawn tractor. Better PTO and much more hp, etc.

The problem with debating this type of subject is the subject matter has to be properly defined, etc. There's a BIG difference between a light duty residential gas mower and a commercial use mower....gas vs diesel....a small lawn tractor and an actual tractor, etc.

Btw, my farmer/rancher buddies laugh at what I call a "tractor""... either of em....hehehe
    ........ it's all a matter of "perspective".....
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 07-28-2021 at 07:26 PM.

13. Member
    If you mow anything more than 1 acre, u will be sorry you didn't get zero turn..... i bet the zero turn will finish the job in at least 1/2 the time with same deck size..... i know.. been there

14. Member
    Gotta take advantage of the straightaways to hold the levers with one hand and drink with the other (unless you have tiny little lady hands--then you're SOL). Personally I find putting any carbonated beverage in the cupholder of a ZTR to be a mistake. The grass gets more than I do

15. Will work for baits. Fish.Team.Rose's Avatar
    If its flat a zero turn is your best route. So much easier. A 54 inch deck is great. I have a 54 and it takes me 1.25 hours to mow 3 acres. Mine does slight hills but sideways or turning in hills is sucky.
    Keith Rose

In search of what was lost.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Gotta take advantage of the straightaways to hold the levers with one hand and drink with the other (unless you have tiny little lady hands--then you're SOL). Personally I find putting any carbonated beverage in the cupholder of a ZTR to be a mistake. The grass gets more than I do
    Man I luv it.....so true.....hehehe

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    Are you referencing an actual tractor or a "riding lawn mower?" A cheaper zero turn residential unit our a more expensive light commercial/commercial unit?

My range is over 10 acres, with 7 of it in turf height grass (whole property is 30). It takes a LOT longer to mow with an actual tractor and considerably longer (probably double) with either lawn tractor.

In fact, my short game area/wedge range is a lil over 1 acre and I can mow it, in reasonably dry conditions, in 15 to 20 minutes....and that's piddling around adjusting heights, etc. A zero turn is WAY faster than a lawn tractor, to argue anything different is ridiculous. Why do you think PROFESSIONAL lawn services use zero turns virtually 100%?

"Versatility?" I can and do pull anything and everything with my zero turn that my 2 lawn tractors can pull (and then some....diesel is pretty powerful) We drag tubs full of range balls (several thousand balls) around in a cart that's attached to a zero turn.

"Wedge range"
    IMG_20190815_201005216.jpg

Now, if by versatility you're referencing a commercial unit with box blades, etc etc etc. that are capable of grading a road, attaching a loader to, etc then you're 100% correct (you have to be). But, again, I have 2 Kubota "landscape" tractors (an L2900 and a 3830 both with buckets) that will get the job done much more efficiently and much quicker than any light duty commercial lawn tractor. Better PTO and much more hp, etc.

The problem with debating this type of subject is the subject matter has to be properly defined, etc. There's a BIG difference between a light duty residential gas mower and a commercial use mower....gas vs diesel....a small lawn tractor and an actual tractor, etc.

Btw, my farmer/rancher buddies laugh at what I call a "tractor""... either of em....hehehe
    ........ it's all a matter of "perspective".....
    X740 and X750 A thousand golf balls weigh about 100 pounds so pulling around several thousand balls really isn't much weight at all. And I wasn't arguing ...........seems though that you would like to.
    Last edited by catfish123; 07-28-2021 at 09:11 PM.

18. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    I still ain't mowing with a tractor ever again,,,,,,,,

Been mowing with zero turns since they became a thing..
    The last 10+ years exclusively.. Over all types of terrain..
    I can never remember a time that I thought to myself "dang,, I wish I had a tractor"

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

19. Member
    I have an Ariens Icon X from Lowes and am very please with it. Had a Dixie Chopper before and had no complaints with that one either. I'd go for a zero times over regular yard tractor any day. Zero turn allows you to cut your cutting time in half.

20. Member
    Had a lawn tractor up until about 9-10 years ago when I got a zero turn. The last yard was a level 1 1/2 acres with 22 trees, this one is level 1 1/2 acres with 6 trees. It doesn't matter, I'll never be without a zero turn again.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast