ZX202C Bow Lift & Rpm

I'm trying to get this rig dialed in but seem to be missing the mark. Let me give you the run down on whats going on.

I'm not loaded heavy, dozen or so rods up front, ultrex, helix 12, all tackle in the rear. Me 230 & 1/2 tank of fuel. Motor is healthy, 90% tear down and rebuilt this season, she's giving me all she has. From what I can tell about 1/2 of the hull is still in the water, she's running super flat. Rpm's are telling me I need a drop in pitch or raise the motor. I have a 24p raker that was on the motor originally but turning the raker I was running just as flat.

At the same time when I trim up at about 60% the steering (hydraulic) starts locking up which I've read can be caused by the prop coming too close to the surface. Water pressure starts to drop below 17psi at around 75% trim. Rooster tail is 1-2ft above the motor at 75% trim. This is telling me the motor need to go down.

Now would dropping the motor actually help create more lift? (more trim) which in turn get more hull out of the water which would then create less drag and allow the rpms to increase? I believe I'm correct in my thinking but hoping for some confirmation from the more experience members here.

I know I'm not going to break 70 with this set up but she should be running low to mid 60's all day even with a little higher than desirable slip. Hull is good, prop is clean (not worked)

98 ZX202c 96 Johnson Venom 200.
    PTP - 3.5
    Prop - 25p Tempest Plus
    RPM - 5200
    Speed - 52.5her
    Ratio - 1.86
    Slip - 17.66
    WP - 17psi @ wot

2. Pat Goff
    Dropping the motor WILL give you more lift, and skeets want all the lift they can get.
    You're looking at making a prop decision, you really need to find 400 rpms somewhere.
    Rakers are turds out of the box, BUT a good prop guy can make them run pretty easy. I'd send the raker to Josh at Steve's, and let him do his thing, they do a gazillion skeeter setups and will work from experience not guessing.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply pmgoffjr,
    The 24p raker was on the motor when I got it. From what I've been reading the 25p tempest plus seems to be one of the prop's of choice for these hulls. I think getting more hull out of the water by dropping the motor may get me those last couple hundred rpm. We'll find out tomorrow. Going to drop 1/4 at a time to get me in the ball park. Once there definitely sending out to get the prop worked.

4. Member
    Andrew,you don’t mention a jack plate. Those ZX,rear sponson hulls like that really benefit from several inches of set back,like 10-12”. That hull shouldn’t have any wood in the transom so it should be good with that much set back. If that’s a strong running Johnson,you should be able to turn the Tempest once you get lift.

5. Member
    Thanks for the reply RIP BASS,
    Yes it has the stock 12" manual jack plate. I have no doubt it will turn the tempest from the hours and hours of reading I've been doing. Just want to verify my thoughts of lowering past 3.5 P2P to get more lift.