Repowering Nitro Z7 with a Suzuki DF 150A, prop?

Hey there Suzuki folks, As it says in the header I’m re-powering my Nitro Z7 with a Suzuki four stroke 150. Not the SS model, just wasn’t available. Everything that I have read about propping is a bit different, gear case and what not. My prior motor was a Merc Pro XS 150 two stroke, and the Tempest+ 24” was the best prop that I found. I’ve heard that the Scorpion from Solas works well with the Zukes. But I’m not sure what pitch to start with. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Member
    There are a bunch of DF150A boat tests on Suzuki’s s website, maybe you can find something similar there to give you an idea?

http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%...12/DF150A.aspx

I would keep your tempest and see how it does and after looking at a few of the tests Suzuki has done it appears that most of the props are the 21 to 24 pitch range. You may find that a 21 or 22 Scorpion might be the perfect prop. Get a baseline with your prop and go from there.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    Sizuki turns their props slower than other boat motors, and the redline is usually 6100 +/- 150 RPM. You'll need a large diameter prop at 21 pitch but you'll probably only use a 14 inch diameter. MAYBE a 24 pitch 4 blade will work. It's important not to have too small a prop barrel diameter or you'll blow out on start.
    When breaking your motor in you must do exactly what the handbook says, the computer won't let you do otherwise.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    When breaking your motor in you must do exactly what the handbook says, the computer won't let you do otherwise.
    really???

6. Member
    The 3 blade 23p” Suzuki 16” diameter factory prop absolutely nailed the rev limiter at WOT after 5 hours of break in. 53 mph top speed. I ordered a 26p Scorpion, will report back on the performance.

7. Member
    Yeah, it's annoying to hit the rev limiter, it's almost like you hit something in the water.

8. Member
    Ok, so the 26” Scorpion is a step in the right direction. Got to run it for a couple hours this evening. Got the boat up to 56mph @ 6000 rpm. Hole shot not to great, so I opened to exhaust ports 100 percent. Definitely helped the hole shot but seemed to affect top end, 54 with hole open. There was a noticeable difference in the sound of the motor, so I’m thinking that I need to lower the jack plate. I’ve still got to dail it in a bit more, but I think I’m on the right path with this wheel. Will report results.

9. Member
    I took a quick look at Scorpion props. They look like 15 inch props. Probably three blades. That may be the biggest you can get from them in the pitch department. Larger diameter or a pitch increase may be what you need.
    I'm using a 16 inch diameter 3 blade with a 24.5 pitch because it was the cheapest prop I could find. I get similar results but I know I need more pitch I'm happy with the hole shot, I hit the rev limiter in the mid 50's.
    I don't know if getting the prop "cupped" would help.

10. Member
    Yes sir, it’s a 15 1/8” dia 3 blade with some pretty aggressive cupping. I’m still plying the “dial it in” game. I made some adjustments and ran it this evening. Lowered the prop 1 1/4”. (3 3/4 below pad). Set the exhaust ports to 25%. Hole shot was greatly improved. Very acceptable. But it lost top end, maxed out at 53mph at 6000 rpm. It had lots of ventilation while cornering, and a bunch of slip in a straight line above 5600 RPMs. This boat used to run 62-63 mph with a Pro XS 150 w 24” Tempest. More research is required…

11. Member
    You're hitting the rev limiter, and that's what limits your speed, right?

12. Member
    I’m not hitting the Rev limiter with the 26P Scorpion, my analog tachometer is somewhere in the 5950 range WOT fully trimmed up, 55mph. I’ve tried a few other props I have laying around, the 26P Raker hits rev limiter at 6200 on my tach, 47 mph. 25P Tempest is a bit better, hit the rev limiter at 51 mph. It seems like this motor/boat likes larger diameter, although I’m hesitant to go to the 16 inch Suzuki prop. The 15 1/4 Scorpion I think is good… has a bit too much pitch at 26, maybe a 24 or 25 would be better. I’m also borrowing a 25P bravo this weekend. Getting closer, will report back with results.

13. Member
    O.k. I'm pushing an older 1998 heavy 19'5" dual console Stratos 285 with a 2020 200DF. I can hit the rev limiter easily, I'm running a 16 inch 3 blade 24.5 SS prop because I bought a bunch at $50 each delivered. I have a pretty good hole shot. My last tournament I watched the GPS and hit 59 before hitting the rev limiter, I think if I tried I could make 60+, but I'd like a bigger prop pitch wise I think if I got my prop cupped it would do better. I also put a whale tail on it which dramatically improved the hole shot.
    Right now it does what I need, and heck, at 60 my boat gets rocking from side to side due to my fat 280 pound ass on one side.
    Some maybe most 2 strokes will outspeed my motor, but it has a 6 year warranty, unlike my 79 year old body.

14. Member
    A 26p prop with no slip will get you 61mph.... That may be the best you'll do with a DF150A and 2.5 gearcase. Realistically, if you're in the upper 50s its pretty good. You're not going to get the same speed as the Pro XS, but good mid-range and gas mileage...thats a Zuke! You were probably close to max with the Scorpion.
    FYI- I have a DF140A on a 18' tin and top out at 50 alone (23p Solas Titan)...tried different props, but eventually gave up chasing 1-2mph. With that said, it'll run 40 at under 5000rpm and get 4.9mpg!

15. Member
    Yes sir, I would be very happy with 61 miles an hour. However I don’t think that’s a reality with this particular boat/motor and it’s low gear ratio. After trying several props that were available to me, the scorpion seems to be the best so far. The 26P is slightly too much. Maybe if I were 100lbs lighter, it would be ok. But I’m 250, my regular fishing buddy is 300+. With full tank of gas, live wells full and tournament loaded he has to walk up onto the front deck to “break it over” for the whole shot, and we get 47mph at 5650rpms. So I got a scorpion 24P, and now the loaded boat gets 54mph with the both of us at 6100. Hole shot is good. By myself it will jump out of the hole, but hit the limiter at tippy top end with the 24P, but I’m moving 57-58. So it’s acceptable. But man, the fuel economy is blowing me away. I can run that thing hard all weekend and still have over a half of a 44gal tank. And it so quite and smooth. So there are trade-offs. Yeah it’s not quite as fast as my old Mercury, but I’m very pleased with my purchase overall. Hope this helps someone in a similar boat. Cheers!

16. Member
    250# plus 300# plus full of fuel plus livewells is a LOT of weight. I think you're propped pretty well unless you are going by yourself for fun, and then, it's pretty easy to change a prop. You might find it planes out easily with a hydrofoil.

17. Member
    Sounds like you have it about perfect! Congrats and enjoy!!