Question Fast Strike 175 - Looking for opinions on project motor build

I recently came across a potential ' 94-95 Fast Strike 175 that will at minimum need rings or more once I crack the case; likely need a lot more.... From what I gather a couple cylinders have low compression (80 psi range) but the lower unit is operable and supposedly in good shape.

Are these worth motors worth the rebuild and how scarce are parts becoming since these models are nearing 20 years old. Any input is appreciated before I pull the trigger on this project. Thanks.
    Last edited by Usafexplorer; 07-26-2021 at 07:25 PM.

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    94-95 Nearing 30 years old. Very stout and reliable motors. I had a 1991 175 Fast Strike, loved it. Still lots of parts around new and used.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Nearing 30 years old.
    Damn your right, where is the time going...

Any idea what should be a fair price for a motor in this general condition and age that needs work? Want to make sure I don't get ripped. Thanks for the input.

4. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    For not really knowing what it needs, I wouldnt pay over $500-600 and thats based on if I cant rebuild it, at least money would be reclaimed by parting it out. You dont really know if the lower works, dont know if its been bored before, can it be re-bored,,tilt works or not,,too many questions and unknown's to pay any more than that. Most times you cant just re-ring an old worn out outboard(cylinder taper/wear, ect). But if you did get it and can be rebuilt, you would have a great engine. Just have to be real careful buying troubled outboards. Can get real expensive real quick. Be prepared to shuck out some $$$$$ to do it right.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    For not really knowing what it needs, I wouldnt pay over $500-600 and thats based on if I cant rebuild it, at least money would be reclaimed by parting it out. You dont really know if the lower works, dont know if its been bored before, can it be re-bored,,tilt works or not,,too many questions and unknown's to pay any more than that. Most times you cant just re-ring an old worn out outboard(cylinder taper/wear, ect). But if you did get it and can be rebuilt, you would have a great engine. Just have to be real careful buying troubled outboards. Can get real expensive real quick. Be prepared to shuck out some $$$$$ to do it right.
    I had a feeling around $500 would be about the max without knowing what the guts actually look like, thanks for the info. I'll see how this pans out and go from there, thanks again!

6. Member
    Get the control box too. Prop and ask about extra props they may not need. Ask about the tach also.