Thread: Power question

Power question

I'm in the process of changing a gen 1 hds 8 out and putting in a hds live 9, can I use the blue power cable for the live 9 or will I lose something by doing that? Also I have a cable that is labeled PD-WBL WIDE ANGLE, is that the thru hull transducer?

2. Member
    Power cables for all generation HDS units are the same. PD-WBL is a pod type 2D transducer without temp. It should be connected to the sonar port. It will not connect to a Live unit without a 7 to 9 pin adaptor. Since your current transducer has been there since Gen 1, I’d suggest switching it out for a 9 pin PDRT-WBL. They definitely don’t last forever. Since a new unit is in your future, why not optimize performance with a new transducer?

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    I agree with NoCAL; this video may be of help:

ciao,
    Marc

4. Member
    Thanks for the response, so even if I put a 3n1 in do I still need to do that? Sorry for the dumb question I just don't know

5. Member
    A 3 in 1 will take the place of your 2D sonar
    2B112175

6. Member
    While your 3-in-1 handles 2D sonar, it is unlikely it will be positioned so that you can get high speed sonar readings (60+ mph). I use the one in my video above for high speed runs, plugged into Channel 1 on my LIVE).
    ciao,
    Marc

7. Member
    ok thanks for response but one more thing. im putting a carbon 12 on the bow, should i go with another 3n1 if i find it cheaper than a 2n1 or is that a bad idea. i would like a to see whats under me at the front and not the back when im on the front, thanks again for the help

8. Member
    Most people find an HDI is fine for the front. But if you want Sidescan AND put in the time to learn how to use it, you can get useful info from it. Sidescan is most useful for finding structure so it works best from the stern while idling with the big motor. On the trolling motor it can be very blurry because of the turning and your speeding isn’t optimal. But a lot of people do have it at the bow
    2B112175