Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    The best trailer backing tip I ever got for backing down a boat ramp is to put the truck in neutral and let the boat/trailer pull the truck backwards instead of putting truck in reverse and pushing the boat down the ramp. It slows down the errors and slows down your corrections. Try it! It really makes a difference.
    Jimmy Perry
    2020 Ranger z521L
    Pro XS 300

I try to park in spots with nothing behind them so I back back up straight !!!!
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old ball coach View Post
    The best trailer backing tip I ever got for backing down a boat ramp is to put the truck in neutral and let the boat/trailer pull the truck backwards instead of putting truck in reverse and pushing the boat down the ramp. It slows down the errors and slows down your corrections. Try it! It really makes a difference.
    This is true. I also usually do this. In reverse on a sloped ramp the truck pushing tends to magnify errors. Not so much in neutral.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    This is true. I also usually do this. In reverse on a sloped ramp the truck pushing tends to magnify errors. Not so much in neutral.
    I have never heard this tip. Awesome, I am going to try.

I am a speed demon when looking over my shoulder, but it just isn't the right way to do it. I have been forcing myself to use my mirrors now.

Looking over your shoulder works okay for ramps that you can turn around on. It is a complete PITA on single lane ramps that drop off, but do able.

5. Scraps
    My street/driveway setup makes for a pretty tight turn into my driveway. So I come down the street, with the house on the driver side, it's so tight I have to have the trailer already turning, angled toward the driveway so I have enough room for the truck to turn on the street while backing into the driveway. I'll stop when the trailer is just past the opening of the driveway so there is less distance to back over and less distance to make a mistake. I think the truckers call this a "see-side" backing. I used to do it the opposite way, come down the street the opposite way - but then I have to use the passenger side mirror which is tougher. Realize if the lot is crowded you might not be able to do this based on the direction of travel versus the angle of the spaces.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    Before making your turn into the slot start driving on the left side of the driving isle or even into the opisite lane. Then swing wider then you would without a trailer. Your trailer doesn’t follow your trucks tires on a turn, it cut short. When backing, small corrections. As far as mirrors vs looking over your shoulder… people are all diffrent. Some people intuitively can back up using mirrors better then others. Learning mirrors is best, but for some it’s easier to get it done over the shoulder while learning. Take your rig out early on Sunday mornings and go practice in parking lots.

7. Member
    Like the song says Give me 40 acres and Ill turn this rig around!!!

8. Member
    I used to pull a dirt bike trailer with a slide-in camper. The only thing I could see was the very edge of the driver's side tire. Any mistake would immediately jack knife the trailer. A boat trailer is a piece of cake.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old ball coach View Post
    That is good advice. One guy I fish with has a manual transmission and it sure is easy and smooth to just let Newton do the work with the clutch pressed in.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferris65 View Post
    Hello
    I drive a tandem axle Ranger trailer and don’t have much problem getting into and out of the water. Still struggling to back up from parking on the ramp particularly in diagonally oriented parking spaces with trailers on either side of me. Any tips about when in the process you start turning the trailer into the lane? I end up doing it too early or too late. I practice when I have time but don’t want to bang mine or others trailers. Any help for a new driver is appreciated
    Best thing you can ever do if you don't have them is, get some blind spot mirrors on your vehicle and learn to watch them more than the big mirrors. They will normally show you exactly where you are and where the trailer is.
    Rocket

11. Member
    I'm one of the weirdos who'll turn my head and look at the back of the rig and periodically check the 2 Sideview mirrors. As mentioned earlier you have to give yourself room to maneuver because you turned your 15 foot truck into a 35 foot tow rig. Anyway I'm co football doing it this way and have reversed my rig around 2 s bends in a driveway after noticing the ramp was blocked off.

It does take practice to get a feel for it.
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

12. Member
    Next tow vehicle get you a Ford F150 with the trailer back up assist. It's the best thing since sliced bread. If you are not a Ford truck fan, Dodge is going to offer a back up system on their 2022 Ram trucks. Easy Peasy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12