Thread: Trim tabs

Trim tabs

Has anyone ran trim tabs on a 920 elite? I’m running 72 roughly with 2 people and gear but I feel like the boat should be faster. Have heard trim tabs can add speed. Running 24 pitch fury on 4 stroke pro xs. Have seen 76 by myself but add a 200 pound buddy and it’s low 70s.

2. Member
    Technically, if you have your boat truly up on the pad the trim tabs wouldn't even barely touch the water. Plus they would just scrub speed. You definitely don't need them and they would hurt top end performance but would give you a big holes hot improvement. It sounds like you may need some prop work or a different prop all together

3. Member
    You don't say what RPM's. Need a baseline first.
    Last edited by MengRanger; 07-27-2021 at 11:09 AM.

That’s running pretty good IMO. Typically any bird over 75 mph is running top notch. Every hull is different. Load of tackle and batteries makes the difference on that last 3-5mph. Try a 25 fury if you have access to one. I gained 2 mph on my top end going from a 24 fury to 25 fury.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    That’s running pretty good IMO. Typically any bird over 75 mph is running top notch. Every hull is different. Load of tackle and batteries makes the difference on that last 3-5mph. Try a 25 fury if you have access to one. I gained 2 mph on my top end going from a 24 fury to 25 fury.
    +1 on the tackle and battery comment. Buddies 20phx is typically a 72-74 take off run, 68-70 with wells full, and 76-78 dead empty with half tank of gas.
    Fish have fins, they swim

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Technically, if you have your boat truly up on the pad the trim tabs wouldn't even barely touch the water.
    I think he's talking about the Rite-Hite trim extenders......i called them trim tabs also before and got a similar response are yours.....i guess i had my words turned around......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Like trim wedges? I have 5 degree wedges on my new boat made by bobs machine. I can overtrim my boat if I want to which I like that option. That way I know I’m getting the most out of my boat. I would say I’m using some of the wedges when running wide open. I usually max it out then bump it down alittle and that’s my sweet spot.

MLF Invitationals Angler

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I think he's talking about the Rite-Hite trim extenders......i called them trim tabs also before and got a similar response are yours.....i guess i had my words turned around......
    Yes. Those are what I’m referring to. Was told it would allow me to make sure the boat is getting maximum lift. My rpms are up there around 6000. It seems like there motor has enough in it to turn a 25 pitch. I will look and possibly find one to borrow. I think my buddy has one. I think the boat runs about normal. I was hoping for 75 loaded but that may be asking for to much.

9. Member
    I thought they made a wedge that installed between the jack plate and the motor. I don’t see a trim extender that is made for the new 4 stroke motors.

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

11. Member
    Are those hard to install? It seems like the jack plate is glued or at least sealed to the transom.

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by findley1202 View Post
    Are those hard to install? It seems like the jack plate is glued or at least sealed to the transom.
    yep we took all 4 bolts out of a 250 proxs, let the hoist down and motor stayed on with the silicone , took a bit of shaking, most of the time they come lose right away, we use a overhead chain hoist
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

Mine are mounted between the jack plate and motor. I believe this is the best way to do it.

MLF Invitationals Angler

14. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Yep, Jeff over at Phoenix says a lot of people running them on the 4 strokes, I was planning to run some myself but he said not needed on a SHO, although I did rum my last SHO at max Trim
    I may still add some 5 degrees after breakin
    info@drewcraft.com

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    Mine are mounted between the jack plate and motor. I believe this is the best way to do it.
    It looks easy enough to install between the jack plate and motor. I ordered some and will tackle the project one evening.