Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Anyone use a set back plate to mount power poles?

I cannot stand not having a power pole anymore, but I also don’t want to drill holes in my boat. I was looking at the 4” set back plates. They’re cheap and should be able to mount 1 or 2 power poles like on a jackplate correct?

My other question, how do you guys determine the right ptp height with no pad?

My motor is mounted low in my opinion. Measured the normal way I’m 6-3/8”, and my boat porpoises pretty bad unless I’m totally alone. Add another person, full gear, full tank of gas and full livewell and she porpoises bad when I tilt her up.

If im going to go through the trouble of removing the motor I want to get in at the right height but after 3+ years on here I still haven’t seen a real answer for us no pad having aluminum guys!

As always, Help is appreciated. Chris
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    I installed a 6” jp on my Triton x18 to install power pole micro anchors. It lasted 3 years before the transom started to crack.
    I had it repaired and downsized to a 3” jp. Just to keep the micro anchors.
    2 years later a clipped a rock WOT took a half dollar sized chunk out of the skeg and cracked the transom about an inch in each corner.
    The insurance company and the repair shop agreed the transom flexes to much because it’s hollow. The insurance company paid for repair and for the transom to be strengthened with braces if I took the jp off. Which of course I did.
    The repair shop installed the Ranger anchor brackets that bolt directly to the transom. He said the way it’s designed will also help stiffen up the transom.
    Just food for thought.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks Dude, do you happen to remember which brackets they used to mount your micro anchors? And...how did they do? I have a coangler a lot and can’t see having the spikes up in the air being easy on a coangler! I don’t want to spend more money on this boat as I’m trying to save for a bigger one but with how the wind moves this puppy around a power pole is something I’m really considering.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Is a trolling motor with spot lock a better option? Just thinking you could mount it on your new glass boat too.
    I probably don’t fish shallow water as much as you but unless I am fishing spawning Bass the spot lock works down to about 3 ft.
    Spot lock works best in wind and current.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Thanks Dude, do you happen to remember which brackets they used to mount your micro anchors? And...how did they do? I have a coangler a lot and can’t see having the spikes up in the air being easy on a coangler! I don’t want to spend more money on this boat as I’m trying to save for a bigger one but with how the wind moves this puppy around a power pole is something I’m really considering.
    https://power-pole.com/transom-brace...iton-port-conf

https://power-pole.com/transom-brace...starboard-conf

If you have a coangler it’s his/her job to put in and remove spikes as needed. Alone it’s not an issue.
    You cannot run down the lake with the spikes in the anchors. That’s the only drawback.

I have 2 micro anchors.
    They are fabulous for fish docks and tight spaces. I can get in between 2 docks put down one spike and turn a perfect 360 to exit.
    The micro spikes work very well up to about 20 mph winds then they will start to drag. You do have too position the boat stern to the wind if it’s above 10 mph otherwise it flips you around 180 degrees. It’s really the best option for mid sized tins that probably can’t support the hydraulic pole anchors weight.
    Last edited by E-rude_Dude; 07-28-2021 at 05:44 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Is a trolling motor with spot lock a better option? Just thinking you could mount it on your new glass boat too.
    I probably don’t fish shallow water as much as you but unless I am fishing spawning Bass the spot lock works down to about 3 ft.
    Spot lock works best in wind and current.
    Different tools for different applications. One is not a replacement for the other.

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have thought about that Mr Reynolds, and it’s certainly not a bad idea. I’d have to add a battery though. Since my boat is so light I’m running it 12/24 like the old days before they knew the right way!

A member here sold me a Motorguide 24v 80lb trolling motor in February, and I got I the day before a tournament, so I wired it 12/24 since I only had a 12v Tm before. Surprisingly I have fished 9 tournaments since February and have had 0 issues with draining the batteries.

I absolutely keep my Noco jump starter in the boat in case I run the cranking battery down, but 1 tournament I dropped the trolling motor at the ramp at Safe light, stayed on the Tm until 2:40 and the engine cranked instantly. I was positive I’d have to add a 3rd battery but this Tm stays on 2 at all times...it’s faster/more powerful that my old Tm on 5, yet I’ve fished 10 hour days without moving but once or twice.

Its a tough decision since I am trying to save for a glass rig, but this boat is like a sailboat in the wind!

Yeah I had to make a lot off assumptions about how and where you fish partly based on fishing backwater Cyprus lakes and partly on annual trips to St John’s, Little Harris and TOHO. I know the spot lock is no substitute for power poles but I have been pleasantly surprised at how effective it can be in reasonably shallow water especially in the wind.
    The main thing that caused me to think about spot lock was your comment about how your boat blows around in the wind. That problem goes away and the wind becomes your friend with spot lock.
    I understand about budget constraint, I thought I would be on a fixed income when I retired but it is still broken. LOL.
    In that regard, I thought you could use the new trolling motor on the new FG boat too.
    Hope it all works out for you.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

9. Member
    Instead of a setback plate, why don't you use these:

Dual Side-Mount Adapters For Mercury Outboards (power-pole.com)

They only add about 3/4" of setback and allow you to mount something like this Dual Kit S-2-2 (power-pole.com) in a nice tight package. There are single side versions of both as well. The side mount adapters mount like a setback or jack plate - the adapter mounts to the transom with four bolts and the engine mounts to the adapter with four more bolts. The tabs on the side are where the adapter plate kits mount so you don't need all that extra setback. I'm in the process of mounting the exact setup on my Pro Guide V16 - the side mount adapters, S-2-2, and two micros I'm moving from my little 10' boat. Planned on doing it earlier in the week but could not locally source the proper bolts. The bolts arrive this weekend, but I leave for vacation and will not get to install for 10 days or so. I can post photos when it's done if you can wait that long to see a finished product.

On a separate note - I appreciate the advice about removing the poles when underway - I never did that on my 10-footer, but it could only go 5mph. I'll have to train my son (my favorite co-angler) on the placing and stowing of the anchors when we're not fishing shallow. I was actually going to post a question this elsewhere but now don't have to.
    John

2016 Tracker Pro Guide V16 WT w/2019 Mercury 90 4 Stroke and Terrova 55
    Garmin 93SV UHD (Bow), Garmin 73SV UHD (Console), Garmin Livescope (Bow on Fishing Specialties Bowducer)
    Dakota 100AH TM Battery, Ionic 125AH Cranking/House Battery;
    Dual Power-Pole Micros

10. Member
    Here are the photos of my micros mounted as per above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John

2016 Tracker Pro Guide V16 WT w/2019 Mercury 90 4 Stroke and Terrova 55
    Garmin 93SV UHD (Bow), Garmin 73SV UHD (Console), Garmin Livescope (Bow on Fishing Specialties Bowducer)
    Dakota 100AH TM Battery, Ionic 125AH Cranking/House Battery;
    Dual Power-Pole Micros

Check to see if it will void the transom warranty. Most jack-plates void the warranty because it puts too much strain on the transom. However, many manufacturers will let you mount poles directly to the transom.
    Last edited by j791; 08-07-2021 at 11:13 PM.

12. Member
    7B760286-4613-4C31-BCDA-18EEAA1A51AD.jpeg
    mk2-3 sandwich brackets on my ranger rt178

13. Member
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks guys, I hadn’t seen those power pole attachment plates in that style before so thanks for that. Mr Reynolds, if you’ve fished St Johns, Harris and Toho you know the kinds of waters I fish! I fished Harris in 2 tournaments in the last month, won one and got 5th in yesterday’s. It’s HOT down here!

I do not doubt that a spot lock tm would be awesome, especially when targeting what offshore grass I can find when the FWC is done spraying! The issue is I am underpowered with a 90. I wish I had the 115 the boat calls for. Alone I’m fine but with a coangler, full gas & livewell she’s not the speed demon she is when I’m alone!

So if I'm going to add more weight I need to adjust my motor height. Plus, I’m “trying” to save for a bigger glitter sled! Admittedly if I had a 4 stroke 115, 2 Power Poles, and padded/recarpeted my front deck I’d be perfectly happy with my baby Triton, but that very much goes against saving for a newer boat.

As a,ways, I appreciate the comments guys!