2000 Optimax 225 0T108772 Stalling Issues

So I'm having issues with my twin Optis.

1. Upon initial fire up, I need to immediately throw them both in power idle for a couple mins to avoid stalling. After that, they'll idle and shift as they should. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I prime them or not.

2. Occasionally, stbd will die while sitting in neutral or when going to shift (usually/always into reverse). Seems that if I try to restart without cycling key to off first, it'll just crank and not fire. Once I cycle key it'll run ok until it does it again. Some days it'll stall a few times, rarely an hour of idle time will go by without any stalling unless I'm out of neutral. Once engine is at least in first click and throughout the rest of the rpm range, there will be no issues.

Investigating progress:

Found a hole in one of the plug boots on stbd and replaced all wires and plugs on stbd. Only replaced replaced plugs on port since I found no issues with the coils or wires. Tracker valve diaphragms on both engines looked fine. Made no difference with above issues whatsoever changing plugs and wires.

I'm fairly certain compression is good as all 12 cylinders registered 90 psi last fall upon purchasing.

Since purchase, I replaced fuel filters in spring.

Not sure when or if ever the injectors have been tested and cleaned (non-mechanically inclined seller said his plan was to have injectors cleaned if he kept it).

DFI oil has supposedly always been used in both engines.

Both engines have throttle faults and one has a trim fault (stbd).

Thinking of checking the reeds next and having the injectors cleaned. Any other thoughts/possibilities? I'm thinking the faults have nothing to do with these issues which is why I haven't addressed them.

Thanks!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Address the TPI faults FIRST. Those can be contributors to your current complaint.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Address the TPI faults FIRST. Those can be contributors to your current complaint.
    Thank you. Appreciate your advice. I’ll look into those