Reducing fuel line

I reduced my fuel lines from 3/8" to 5/16" to the engines.I used brass reducers because I could not find bronze are the brass ones good I am in salt water?
    Twin 200 2005 Mercury Optimax Engines
    1B191661
    1B160290

2. Member
    Yes.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You should not need a reducer. The OEM Mercury/Quicksilver Primer Bulb will accept 3/8" on the inlet side, and 5/16" on the outlet side. Straight-shot from there to the fuel pumps inside the cowling (use no additional splices, reducers, connectors, or hoses).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You should not need a reducer. The OEM Mercury/Quicksilver Primer Bulb will accept 3/8" on the inlet side, and 5/16" on the outlet side. Straight-shot from there to the fuel pumps inside the cowling (use no additional splices, reducers, connectors, or hoses).
    problem is I have thru bulk head fittings and are 3/8" so I have to reduce after them.I cant get at them to change them out.
    1B191661
    1B160290

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No way to bring fuel line through the rigging hoses?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

No way to bring fuel line through the rigging hoses?
    To tight tried that managed to get them thru the last foot before engines.
    1B191661
    1B160290

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Only other option is to move primer bulb outside hull (not ideal, but might be less restrictive).

Only other option is to move primer bulb outside hull (not ideal, but might be less restrictive).
    Is there anyway to change fitting on pump to 3/8"?
    1B191661
    1B160290

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not that is recommended. The pump body is a fiber-plastic material- hanging too much weight on a fitting at the pump can (and does) cause stresses that fracture the pump body.