250 SHO won't go in gear

Ran my boat last night. Initially everything was going fine. Then it became harder to get the boat into gear...as in there was more pressure when I engaged out of neutral to forward. Then nothing. Idles in neutral but won't go into forward or reverse. It nearly goes it reverse but doesn't quite engage. I adjusted the linkage arm under the cowling but no change. Where do I look next? Boat shops are over a month out and I have a tournament in 2 weeks.

It's a 2012 250 SHO

Thanks!

2. Member
    The first thing is to make sure there is not an obstruction where the linkage exits the bottom of the cowling to the lower unit.

Then it is either your helm control, cables, or linkage under cowling. Unhook each and actuate them independently and that will tell you where the increased resistance is coming from.

3. Member
    On a side note, why does it go in and out of gear so much easier when running than when off. Is there some type electrical assist ?

4. Member
    it is not meant to be shifted in an out of gear without it being running have someone spin the prop i bet it will work easier.