Thread: La Crosse WI

La Crosse WI

Headed up for our championship tournament in 3 weeks. We can fish pools 7, 8 and 9. I've always heard that the farther north you go the better it is....so I am thinkin pool 7. Only 1 day of practice available to me and I have never fished any of it. Those that are familiar...any insight especially with the lower water levels this year?

2. Member
    Idle everything if you leave the main channel. There are a lot of fish in 8 since people lock all the time and the events usually go out of lacrosse. So can have good fishing in 7 but lot more water in 8. Personally not a fan of 9 but know a lot of people do well down there too.
    Fish have fins, they swim

Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Idle everything if you leave the main channel. There are a lot of fish in 8 since people lock all the time and the events usually go out of lacrosse. So can have good fishing in 7 but lot more water in 8. Personally not a fan of 9 but know a lot of people do well down there too.
    No worries about idling...I'm in a kayak and can draft in 6" of water Good insight into 8...you are correct that they do the weigh ins back on 8.

4. Member
    Fair enough on the kayak lol. But usually to me it's best when I find current. A lot of my backwater stuff shuts down with low water because there is little to no flow and the fish don't setup the same.

Are you going to be up there for the Hobie B.O.S.? I'm leaving California on the 13th of August and will be there for the event. Looking forward to getting back to Lacrosse! My only time spent there was a couple years ago for the KBF event there when the water was way up and it was late fall and COLD!!! Had a blast and loved every minute of it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Are you going to be up there for the Hobie B.O.S.? I'm leaving California on the 13th of August and will be there for the event. Looking forward to getting back to Lacrosse! My only time spent there was a couple years ago for the KBF event there when the water was way up and it was late fall and COLD!!! Had a blast and loved every minute of it!!
    No, this is our club championship on August 14th/15th. When is the BOS event?

The Hobie BOS is the 28th and 29th out of Lacrosse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    The Hobie BOS is the 28th and 29th out of Lacrosse.
    I gotcha...yeah no big events for me this year. I have stayed away from them to be honest and focused just on local stuff.

Headed up on Friday...looks like the rain has helped the water level a bit. Hopefully that helps the bite out.

10. Member
    As long as the water is stable for a few days should fish good. Extra 6-8" will help backwater I think

How's the water clarity? I would assume with new rain that it's probably fairly stained to muddy. I've only been there once and the river was flooded out BIG time!!! I was fishing places that I'm sure hadn't seen water in quite some time. That was a couple years ago in the fall. It snowed on us during practice. Didn't stop the fishing though. That place is amazing and I can't wait to get back. We'll be staying down in Stoddard for the first week but plan on hitting up the MLF weigh in to see how those guys do. I'm thinking frogging, flipping, and bladed jigs are going to be the go to patterns.

It's low and muddy in area due to all the rain. I can't wait till the flw is there. I like pool 9.