Crazy Shipping Rates

I attempted to ship a rod to California from Georgia last week and was astonished at the cost. The post office told me it would be $210 to ship a 7'5" rod. If it was a 7'0" rod it would have been $40. If someone could explain to me that a difference of 5" shipped to California should be an additional $160 I would appreciate it. How do other folks ship rods to California from the southeast? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Go ahead and give it to them and by the time it gets to Cali it will probably be less than 7'.

3. Member

Anytime I ship other than flat rate, I go to Office Depot and I get the lowest price. The USPS at the Post Office is always higher !! I shipped a Prop that USPS wanted $32 for $14 at Office Depot !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

You need to set up a profile and print postage online at USPS site. I sent one a few weeks back to Northern California and it was 7' 9" and cost me less than $30.00 with insurance. Got there fast and in great shape.

6. Member
    You should see International rates. $400,$600,$800…I don’t even ask anymore. Just send it.

7. Member
    Just mailed a Vixen (so very small box) - $12 to NJ.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay74 View Post
    I attempted to ship a rod to California from Georgia last week and was astonished at the cost. The post office told me it would be $210 to ship a 7'5" rod. If it was a 7'0" rod it would have been $40. If someone could explain to me that a difference of 5" shipped to California should be an additional $160 I would appreciate it. How do other folks ship rods to California from the southeast? Any info would be appreciated.
    It has to be hand carried to every truck in route to your recipient
    The USPS is fully automated. You unload packages onto a conveyor belt. It sorts the mail and runs down a conveyor belt into the truck being loaded. If your package doesn’t meet the machine’s criteria it costs more to hand load. Not to mention at almost 8’ it may not fit in an everyday mail truck.
    Ups is much better equipped to handle large packages
    Last edited by E-rude_Dude; 07-27-2021 at 06:22 AM.

9. Member
    Hey, cost me 250 bucks to send fuel rails and injectors to Canada, getting crazy, California shipping has gotten stupid. We ship and receive stuff daily, all to and from Cali is higher than except new york
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Member
    Mark, you have to remember that I'm in Georgia so it's $35 to $40 to get the rod to Texas. And then another $30 from Texas to California. That being said, I called UPS and gave them the dimensions and insurance amount and the young lady told me it would be $60 to $62 to ship the rod to California. Going tomorrow to see if she is a lady of her word.

11. Member
    Just wanted to provide an update on my thread. Yesterday I went to UPS and shipped my rod (to California) for $58. A far cry from what the USPS quoted me of $210. Same tube and same insurance amount. How the USPS came up with a $148 difference is beyond me.

12. Banned
    The USPS is WOKE...they gettin everything they can out of ya!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay74 View Post
    Put an Amazon label on it and it will almost be free (like everything else) via the USPS.