finding Mercury model number

I hope I'm posting in the right place and that someone can help, I've run into this twice now.
    Not able to find a tag with the model number, but there is a tag with just the serial number, located on the mounting bracket.
    One instance is on a 1991 XR4 150 (serial 0D03???4 (hidden digits for security)).
    I'm trying to determine the shaft length before I buy it.
    Unfortunately the seller hasn't been able to take a reliable measurement from the boat or motor, and it's not close by.
    Any one know of another location for the model number or a way to get it from the serial number? Thanks in advance for responses.

2. Member
    There might be one on a metal frost plug, off the engine block
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

3. Member
    Thanks! I'll have him check for that.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Serial Numbers aren't something "hidden for security". They are actually the only accurate identifier on your Mercury Engine.

Your engine is covered in the next forum down (2.0/2.4/2.5L Forum), which requires the engine Serial Number when posting.

From that number we can tell you the exact model number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks! Didn't know if that was a good idea to post that number but I'll make a new post there.

6. Member
    see v6 section for info
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................