Thread: Mega DI+ SI+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    with your time behind the wheel with the g3 and g4’s, can you distinctly tell a school of bass (turtles on a log horizontally, no more than two high) on DI? It’s hard to guess what they are when everything shows up as vertical strands. I spent a good amount of time tweeting my units and I can’t get the size returns you have in the 3rd picture

Quote Originally Posted by JDS723
    ;12008021
    Attachment 460025Attachment 460026Attachment 460029
    The first two pics are off of a g2n, the third is from a g4n. Look how the dots are round and more defined in the g2n and more like vertical lines on the g4n. And this was after working on it for hours to get it to show this good. At the begin of the day it looked like the DI shots in the OP’s post.

2. Member
    I have found that mega+ is great for finding cover and what not. I use 455 for finding fish. I probably use 455 75‰ of the time.

3. Member
    Please explain in more detail, I am still learning and assumed mega would provide greater detail to identify structure and fish. I also thought the advantage of 455 would be greater range not more detail, so I am a little confused.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjxds View Post
    Please explain in more detail, I am still learning and assumed mega would provide greater detail to identify structure and fish. I also thought the advantage of 455 would be greater range not more detail, so I am a little confused.
    The fish are bigger with 455 because the image is not as good. They are there with mega+ but are just a tiny dot. I use DI set to 455 all of the time. I use mega+ and 455 on SI. I find 800 to be useless. Let's say I am looking for deep shell cracker beds. I will use mega+ to find the beds. Most of the time with mega+ the beds will look empty or very little fish on them. That's when I switch to 455. The fish will pop out then. Make sure to not have the sensitivity to high or it will all bleed together. I have found when using mega+. The fish will show better if you turn the brightness down some.

Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    The fish are bigger with 455 because the image is not as good. They are there with mega+ but are just a tiny dot. I use DI set to 455 all of the time. I use mega+ and 455 on SI. I find 800 to be useless. Let's say I am looking for deep shell cracker beds. I will use mega+ to find the beds. Most of the time with mega+ the beds will look empty or very little fish on them. That's when I switch to 455. The fish will pop out then. Make sure to not have the sensitivity to high or it will all bleed together. I have found when using mega+. The fish will show better if you turn the brightness down some.
    I get the shell cracker beds detail AND see the fish clearly using the MEGA frequency.

Bluegills with MEGA works just as well, you can see some in the group of beds in the upper image.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I get the shell cracker beds detail AND see the fish clearly using the MEGA frequency.

Bluegills with MEGA works just as well, you can see some in the group of beds in the upper image.

I did not say you couldn't see them. You can see them better with 455.

7. Member
    I just can’t get a good structure image in mega, much better picture on 455. I hope this is due to the water visibility and time of year. I mostly fish 1.5’-2’ visibility and worse. I haven’t been able to get on clean water in the winter to see what mega can really do. I’m with you, structure wise, I just need to tell the difference between hard/soft bottom and a brushpile from a rock pile which 455 can easily do. I am much more concerned about seeing fish relating to structure or just relating to open bottom which is the second reason i lean on 455 more than mega. I’d like to be able to identify bass from white bass/crappie on DI when i idle over the top of a ledge, which I need to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    I have found that mega+ is great for finding cover and what not. I use 455 for finding fish. I probably use 455 75‰ of the time.

8. Member
    I would love to get a mega image like that. I’ve got the power (dedicated 10ga, soldered, group 31AGM) to the unit and as stated previously, i will play with my ducer and move it down closer to the hull bottom. The only area i think i am lacking is due to my boat configuration, I absolutely had to run the power wires and ducer wires together. That being said, I doubled up on ferrite rings and have zero issues with interference/crosstalk so I don’t even know if this is a issue or not with my imaging. Got any other tricks you would try other than just time behind the wheel and adjusting contrast/sensitivity/scroll speed/boat speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokies View Post
    I would love to get a mega image like that. I’ve got the power (dedicated 10ga, soldered, group 31AGM) to the unit and as stated previously, i will play with my ducer and move it down closer to the hull bottom. The only area i think i am lacking is due to my boat configuration, I absolutely had to run the power wires and ducer wires together. That being said, I doubled up on ferrite rings and have zero issues with interference/crosstalk so I don’t even know if this is a issue or not with my imaging. Got any other tricks you would try other than just time behind the wheel and adjusting contrast/sensitivity/scroll speed/boat speed?
    Transducer cable and UNIT power is OK together. BUT not OK for transducer cable and trolling motor power together.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    yup. That’s how it’s run because i had no other options unless I build a chase on the opposite side of boat... all wires run together through one chase but I haven’t had any issues with interference. Don’t know if i got lucky or if it’s the doubled up ferrite rings.

Transducer cable and UNIT power is OK together. BUT not OK for transducer cable and trolling motor power together.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokies View Post
    with your time behind the wheel with the g3 and g4’s, can you distinctly tell a school of bass (turtles on a log horizontally, no more than two high) on DI? It’s hard to guess what they are when everything shows up as vertical strands. I spent a good amount of time tweeting my units and I can’t get the size returns you have in the 3rd picture
    Yes I can still use them to find schools of bass, but do not expect dots. It takes a lot of tweaking to get it to be decent, but it is possible.

12. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I have G2 Solix 15 & 12 M+ units and get great fish returns on my DI and SI... As well as 360. I troll for Stripers and here are synchronized screen shots from my 15 (Chart, SI, and DI) and 12 (Mega 360) of a school I plowed through yesterday... I pressed the screen capture button on both at the same time.

I had been going along the shoreline but was headed out to the middle of the cove and, on the prior sweep of the Mega 360, I saw the first returns of the school at about 10:00 on the very edge of the 80' range I had it set at and changed direction to go right through the middle of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

13. Member
    I increase my scroll speed to around 6 when I'm going about 3 to 4 mph. Makes the fish elongate a little but structure stays pretty crisp and clear. I have a G2N unit.

14. Member
    Nice shots!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12