Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ford chip shortage

Any news on when this will end? Our dealer usually has 100 plus trucks and has maybe 10 right now. No deals are being made. My wife is wanting a new f150. The last two trucks I bought we got $12,000 off sticker and $11,000 off sticker. Now they are adding to the sticker price. We want a nice 4x4 xlt but ain’t paying $55,000 for one.

I think it's going to be quite some time before the car/truck manufacturers are back to normal production volume.

3. Member
    I am hearing 2023 before it is completely back to normal. I reserved a Ford Bronco last year and cancelled it because delivery wasn't looking good anytime soon. Talked to a guy that was in my bass club yesterday that works at a Ford dealership. He said they get a truck of vehicles a week and just about every car on it is already sold. They have no new cars on the lot now.

Quote Originally Posted by ironoutlaw View Post
    Any news on when this will end? Our dealer usually has 100 plus trucks and has maybe 10 right now. No deals are being made. My wife is wanting a new f150. The last two trucks I bought we got $12,000 off sticker and $11,000 off sticker. Now they are adding to the sticker price. We want a nice 4x4 xlt but ain’t paying $55,000 for one.
    Late 22 before its back on track...you won't be getting a large discount...you will pay sticker if you are lucky.

5. Member
    Talked to my nephew a week ago he works at Ford hey says the put a chip in a truck drive somewhere park it take the chip out rinse and repeat. In Louisville they got so many stock piled it’s unreal.

6. Member
    Some of the manufacturers are not having a hard a time as Ford. If you are not brand loyal then maybe check some other brands.

7. Member
    Sure would b a great time for some billionaire to start a chip plant here in the US. Probably take 10 years to get the permits needed.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Sure would b a great time for some billionaire to start a chip plant here in the US. Probably take 10 years to get the permits needed.
    Yea should have never happened hopefully this will be a wake up call!

9. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Texas Instruments in Dallas is expanding their facilities there to increase production.....I worked on the construction of the original building. No clue when it will open for business ...they are real picky especially when it comes to the "clean room".

If not just Ford. Gm has holding yards all over Michigan full of cars
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    There is a reason there are only like 5 plants around the world that make chips, crazy expensive to build and equip due to all the extreme cleanliness i.e. dust control, and electrical needs.

12. Member
    Listening to an industry analyst last week who said the car manufacturers did this to themselves. Historically have never carried a backlog on parts and demanded supplies make 'on-demand'. Plenty of electronic products, who use and stocked up on chips, are doing just fine.
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

Thanks. Hopefully the old accord can make it another year. We’ve been talking about buying one for years but the Honda just kept going and going but it’s getting rough and looks bad. We’re considering a ram too, she’s a big fan of the rebel but after putting a transmission in my truck ( 2016 2500) at 90,000 miles and my dads 2017 1500 having a handful of gremlins at under 50,000 miles I’m leaning towards a Ford. We’re going to drive both and see what fits but it seems that there are less fords on the lots and no one is making a deal. About like the housing market.

14. Member
    I was listening to a guy who's company supplies Ford with all sorts of parts on the radio last week. He claimed that by end of Nov, start of Dec....all the backlog vehicles will be equipped, and things will start to look normal around the 1st of year.

15. Member
    it will never go back to "normal" there will most certainly be a new normal that will develop. Ford and others will take this as an opportunity to develop a new strategy for their markets and there's no looking back to the past.

It’s not just vehicles. Anything with chips are hard to get. We do hotel key cards where I work. We are having to order our rfid chips a year in advance to make sure we have them. They are hard to get.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    Listening to an industry analyst last week who said the car manufacturers did this to themselves. Historically have never carried a backlog on parts and demanded supplies make 'on-demand'. Plenty of electronic products, who use and stocked up on chips, are doing just fine.
    JIT. Just in time manufacturing. The supply chain is "lean" but if something happens the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

18. Member
    Gm is selling ones without the DOD chip in them because of the shortage

19. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I ordered a 2022 F250 platinum back in April, my dealer just told me this week that Ford has set aside over hundred thousand chips for retail orders...

My 2022 is scheduled to be built the week of 9-20-21 and I'll probably take delivery a couple weeks later in early October.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

20. Member
    I thought it said Food Chip Shortage. That was really gonna suck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast