Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who else fly fishes for panfish?

I know Fr8dog does. Any others in here chasing them on the fly? What are you go to patterns?

I talk to people at the lake all the time and the thing I hear the most is “I’d try it but it’s so expensive.” Then I show them my Cabela’s BC Three Forks that came with rod, reel, line, leader, and backing that I blew a whopping $25 on. Eagle Claw yellow rods are about $30. Pair it up with a Medalist from flea bay, a WFF-4, leader and some buggers & #10 poppers from WM and you’re in for well under $100. Anyone that has access to a farm pond or local lake can bust bluegills for a couple hours in the evening. Big fun. No pulling the boat, gassing up, or clean up afterwards. Maybe some videos on casting will help, but you don’t need to throw like Lefty for panfish. 30-40’ tops and someone can do that in the yard.

And I think I’m going to tie up some buggers and spiders on 12’s soon. Smallest I go is 10 but it’s been slow this year. I need to get down to 6-8’ pretty fast to avoid the dinks so they’ll be weighted with a bead head or lead wire. Poppers don’t work well here for some reason.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 07-26-2021 at 10:49 AM.

I would like to learn although I know nothing about it. I have some small lakes around here it would be perfect for and I think it would be a blast to get some big Bluegill on such a light rig.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

Being in Kansas I’m gonna guess it gets a bit windy there? I would recommend a 5 wt for a beginner. Small enough to have fun, enough muscle to handle the breeze and the bass you’ll catch along with the bream. A moderate action or maybe mod-fast at most will help to learn the feel of casting. Anything faster means the timing needs to be fairly good and that can be frustrating at first.

I’ve heard good things about the Reddington Crosswater combo in the $130-160 range. That should get you a balanced rig without the hassles of matching reels, rods, and lines. They also come with better lines than the Academy or Cortland ones you can pick up for cheap. (My $25 special was a steal and the line is fairly OK, but I kind of know what I’m doing)

It’s fun and pretty easy to learn. For bream and bass about 50’ is about the max you throw and I’ve never seen my backing on them.

Thanks for that fr8dog. Is it easier to catch blue gill when they are bedding or just about anytime? Do you guys use popping bugs or flies that get deeper? I also got your pm and will act on it.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

In OK where I fish, poppers are just casting practice. I need to get 6-8’ deep for anything other than dinks. I loved watching them bust little floating bugs but it just doesn’t happen. I make some sinking cricket looking bugs that get down quickly and do a good job. Depends on where you are. It’s good to have a mix. Not tons of stuff but a few floaters, some slow sinkers, and things that can go deep fairly quick. Little #10 or 8 poppers are a blast and the occasional bass will eat them, too. Foam spiders and beetles are fun.

If you find them on beds all bets are off! They’ll go nuts and wear you out!

7. Moderator
    I agree completely with Fr8dog. I would get a 5-6wt as a first rod. It will handle all panfish and bass no problem. I tie a lot of "carp" flies for panfish on a #10 gamakatsu bonefish hook. I also use lead or dumbell eyes to get my flies down deeper. You can catch a ton of small blue gill shallow but if you want big ones you have to go deeper. Anything buggy looking will work. Natural colors work best for me. Greens, black, orange, red etc. We can start another thread for flies if you are interested.

Keep your eye on craigslist or marketplace for rods. Lots of guys buy them to get into fly fishing and find out they don't like it. I just picked up an orvis 3wt with reel for $175 that was only 4 months old. Guy paid $400 for everything earlier this year. Found out he wasn't a Euronympher after all I am going to use it for a panfish only rod. 4# test leader and go after big gills and shellcracker.
    Last edited by RoadrashPaul; 07-29-2021 at 07:53 PM.

These were on #6 beadchain clousers tied on light wire minnow hooks. 7’ Shakespeare Micro lite 4wt rod ($17 Academy close out) Allen Alpha reel ($45). Allen WFF4 line ($10). If you have good early spring crappie spots, this is a blast!! Walking the bank with everything I need in my pocket.

3F9ACFB5-4CA1-4A98-88CC-7A044E391BB9.jpeg

You guys have talked me into trying it. If I cannot find anything local(Academy) I will be heading to Kansas City for Cabelas or Bass Pro in two weeks. Just starting out I think I will go with one of the cheaper combo sets they have. Also do you guys have any recommendation on length of rod?
    Last edited by wgammill; 07-28-2021 at 12:22 PM.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

9’ is the standard these days. Nothing wrong with an 8’6”.

At BPS look at this one if they have it. They say it’s the same blank as a Pro II. I have the P II in 6 and 8. Excellent rod at a good price. Good moderate action that will give you feel of the rod loading and some forgiveness in timing that faster actions won’t.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/temp...fishing-outfit

Thanks I will check it out.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

Hank Patterson’s videos are very instructional!

Last edited by fr8dog; 07-28-2021 at 07:53 PM.

13. Moderator
    Brian at Mad River is one of the OG fly fishing guides and video people. He is incredibly knowledgeable and makes excellent instructional videos.

Thanks for the videos guys. I have subscribed and I'm watching them. I'm also getting pretty stoked on trying this out. I just retired at the beginning of the year and although I fish a lot this is something new to learn and enjoy. Appreciate your help.
    William

Oh and I will be back for advice and hopefully with some BIG Blue Gill & Crappie pics to show you.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

15. Member
    Years ago I bought a custom built 3 wt. for panfish. Purchased from TFF classifieds. Blank: Forecast RX6 Graphite F763-2 7’6” 2 pc. My only other fly rod is a G-Loomis GL3 9' 2 pc 8 wt. purchased for going to Pulaski, NY. But it was either pay off the rod and stay home, or use an existing rod and go dishing. I went fishing. The shop owner is a very accomplished fly fisherman. Whenever I went down to put money on the rod, he would teach me when not busy with a customer. If I remember correctly I could about empty the fly line off the reel by the time I made the last payment. Rod never made it to the water.

I decided to go with a double taper line for the 3 wt. Big mistake. Rod action is very slow. The GL3 is not. Probably can spit further than I could cast the double taper, and I can't spit for squat.

What line should I get for this rod? Also I would be willing to take lessons from someone in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PA area if anyone knows of such a person. Qualified teacher, of course, if I am going to be paying them.

With a 3wt pretty much any WFF should work just dandy. DTs are great for small stream fishing and roll casting. Get them into any wind and it gets challenging. A 3 is good for gills and crappie and I go as big as a #6 on them as long as they aren’t weighted. The DT lines are mostly for small trout flies and delicate presentations. The last one I used came with a 6wt reel someone gave me. I had a helluva time with it on the lake, so I put on a SA WF6F and was able to throw into the backing. I’d rather use a level line than a DT. I have my original level 8 line that my mom & dad bought me when I was a kid. Shakespeare 1827 auto reel on an 8’6” Heddon glass rod. I was a badass!! Rebuilt the rod and the reel still works today.

17. Moderator
    I agree and always use weight forward lines. The 3wt I just got had a level line on it and I couldn't cast it worth a crap especially with the sighter on it. I put on a Scientific Angler WFF and its SOOO much better. If you are only wanting to chase panfish get you a cheap line but I will say fly lines are something that you can spend some money on and tell a big difference (in my opinion). The higher prices lines have tons of technology and coatings that make casting so nice.

While you’re buying a line, ask what kind of cleaner they recommend for it. Fly lines pick up gunk and grit when you fish muddy or in algae. Some of the lakes here are nasty and after just one day I’m cleaning that evil orange clay off it. It’s not normally necessary to clean them often but it’s nice to have it handy. The line dressings keep them floating and allow for smooth shooting. Periodically cleaning them will increase the life, too.

19. Member
    Some great info. I'm all set on for reel line and leaders. (Garage sales, free bees). It's the flies and hugs driving me crazy. Not sure what to get. I sit down at a couple of websites ready to order and dang my hurts!!
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

20. Member
    Pretty funny, I checked my ebay account after I posted this and I won a big lot of flies!! I put in a low ball bid and got it. Now I gotta find the time to get out and fish. Between work and the weather nothing is happening.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast