Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A big reason to have an inexpensive setup is that you can keep it behind the seat as a truck rod. I usually have a cheapazz 5 and a box of bugs with me. If we go shopping and I’m going to pass the lake, I’ll stop for a few minutes and see if I can get a nibble or two. Got these earlier this year on the way back from the wife’s dr appointment.

. 347430B5-6A87-4A14-A572-F2C4896311E2.jpeg

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    A big reason to have an inexpensive setup is that you can keep it behind the seat as a truck rod. I usually have a cheapazz 5 and a box of bugs with me. If we go shopping and I’m going to pass the lake, I’ll stop for a few minutes and see if I can get a nibble or two. Got these earlier this year on the way back from the wife’s dr appointment.

. 347430B5-6A87-4A14-A572-F2C4896311E2.jpeg
    That's what I'm talking about
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

And I’m hoping you get to do that. It’s just simple fun (you don’t see the portable live scope that I have rigged up)

4. Member
    With a 3wt pretty much any WFF should work just dandy. DTs are great for small stream fishing and roll casting. Get them into any wind and it gets challenging. A 3 is good for gills and crappie and I go as big as a #6 on them as long as they aren’t weighted. The DT lines are mostly for small trout flies and delicate presentations. The last one I used came with a 6wt reel someone gave me. I had a helluva time with it on the lake, so I put on a SA WF6F and was able to throw into the backing. I’d rather use a level line than a DT. I have my original level 8 line that my mom & dad bought me when I was a kid. Shakespeare 1827 auto reel on an 8’6” Heddon glass rod. I was a badass!! Rebuilt the rod and the reel still works today.
    Thanks. I am wondering if getting a good low cost 5 wt. with a Moderate or Moderate-Fast action would be helpful in learning to cast the 3 wt. There is what I consider a huge jump going from my GL3 with a Fast action down to the 3 wt. with a Slow action. Big difference in line weight and a big difference in timing. I am thinking a 5wt. might be a nice stepping stone. It would also be a nice compromise between the two wts for handling different size flies.

I will get a WFF line. It is what I figured on buying anyway, but haven't read anything on fly fishing for quite a few years, and not sure what brand to get. Of course I can do more research. That is half the fun anyway.

Any suggestions for a good low cost 5wt before I spend weeks researching? Provided that is a good idea.

EDIT: Probably should mention the GL3 has a WFF. Makes the difference between it and the 3wt even more noticeable.
    Last edited by new2BC4bass; 07-30-2021 at 04:07 PM.

A 9’ 5 is a good choice. Bream are fun and it’s strong enough to handle bass and trouts. Brands really aren’t my thing as I’m not a ‘gear guy’. I like TFO. They make a NXT Black Label and a Signature II at about $120. Best thing to do is find a local shop, tell them exactly what you want and how you plan to fish. You probably don’t want Sage, Winston, or Thomas & Thomas? I needed an 8wt in a hurry so I grabbed a Dogwood Canyon for about $50 at Cabela’s. Pleasantly surprised. Works for bass and gar. More moderate action and if it breaks, oh well.

Both BPS and Cabela’s have lines in the $30-40 range that would be fine.

Picking up a fast 9’ 8wt right after waving a medium 7’6” 3 is interesting for a couple minutes.

6. Member
    A 9’ 5 is a good choice. Bream are fun and it’s strong enough to handle bass and trouts. Brands really aren’t my thing as I’m not a ‘gear guy’. I like TFO. They make a NXT Black Label and a Signature II at about $120. Best thing to do is find a local shop, tell them exactly what you want and how you plan to fish. You probably don’t want Sage, Winston, or Thomas & Thomas? I needed an 8wt in a hurry so I grabbed a Dogwood Canyon for about $50 at Cabela’s. Pleasantly surprised. Works for bass and gar. More moderate action and if it breaks, oh well.

Both BPS and Cabela’s have lines in the $30-40 range that would be fine.

Picking up a fast 9’ 8wt right after waving a medium 7’6” 3 is interesting for a couple minutes.

Nope. No Sage, Winston, or Thomas & Thomas. Probably not even an Orvis. One, I don't have that kind of money. Two, I doubt I will be using it enough to justify those prices even if I had the money. I will look at the TFOs you suggested. And I will do some research. Thanks.

7. Moderator
    Don't be afraid of the BP/Cabelas setups. They work very well for the price. The TFO rods are an amazing rod for the price. I have one of the White River (BP) reels on an old Pflueger rod and it has caught hundreds of panfish with no issue.

Got my little ‘bream buster’ today. Eagle Claw Featherlight 6’6” 3wt. Played on the lawn with both a 3 line and a 4. The 3 felt better. Probably give it a workout tomorrow at a local pond. Can’t beat the price on these things.

4D58E31C-45AB-4BEE-876F-372D1CF18F5D.jpeg

9. Member
    Got my little ‘bream buster’ today. Eagle Claw Featherlight 6’6” 3wt. Played on the lawn with both a 3 line and a 4. The 3 felt better. Probably give it a workout tomorrow at a local pond. Can’t beat the price on these things.

4D58E31C-45AB-4BEE-876F-372D1CF18F5D.jpeg
    How do you like the 6'6" length? I assume it is going to hurt distance. If so, how much? I guess I consider distance more than I should since I fish a baitcaster from shore. I'm almost always looking for as much as I can get. Especially around the highly pressured areas where I occasionally fish. I actually gave up fishing for 23 years after moving to this area. Fishing was good where I moved from. It sucks big time here. Especially when limited to the shore.

10. Member
    I bought the 3wt WFF Orvis Clearwater and Scientific Anglers Frequency Boost 5wt WFF for the new rod that is coming. I also bought Scientific Anglers Fly Line Dressing. Back is finally starting to get better (been almost 3 weeks) so I am looking forward to going to a park to get in some casting practice when the new rod gets here. Been watching some videos so hopefully I won't be too bad.

I’m usually throwing parallel to the bank when I’m walking so distance isn’t too much of an issue. I was getting about 60’ just fooling around. Not sure I’ll have that much room behind me at the lake. In the boat I don’t think I throw more than 40’ with a 3 or 4wt rod. The bigger poles are all 8.5 or 9’.

Took a couple minutes to get the timing down with a slower glass rod. I’ll scoot out for a bit tomorrow and see how it goes.

12. Member
    I’m usually throwing parallel to the bank when I’m walking so distance isn’t too much of an issue. I was getting about 60’ just fooling around. Not sure I’ll have that much room behind me at the lake. In the boat I don’t think I throw more than 40’ with a 3 or 4wt rod. The bigger poles are all 8.5 or 9’.

Took a couple minutes to get the timing down with a slower glass rod. I’ll scoot out for a bit tomorrow and see how it goes.
    Thanks.

Ugghh! I waved it around at the pond today. I have some learning to do with a slow rod. Lawn casting is one thing. Playing in the water is another. I’m used to faster actions. If anyone was watching me today they’d think I was a drunken new guy after taking his medical marijuana. Even the fish laughed at me. (Furled leaders rock! Knots from tailing loops don’t ruin them!).

14. Moderator
    Lol. I’m sure you will get the hang of it. I went after some catfish last night. Threw several different flies and couldn’t get a bite from a bluegill for anything. Picked up a beetle spin my son had tied on and caught 6 within 10 minutes. Not sure what was up with that. Then I didn’t get a single catfish bite. Oh well. Nice afternoon to be on the river.

15. Member
    I went with this
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It fits my budget. fr8dog I have been watching you tube like crazy trying to pick up what I can. Rod gets delivered Wednesday hope to be out Thursday evening if it cools off enough,
    Thanks for the input so far I'm sure I will have questions in the coming weeks.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

Check out Pete Kutzer on you tube. He’s the Orvis guy. He uses non-technical language and his videos are easy to watch.

17. Member
    Check out Pete Kutzer on you tube. He’s the Orvis guy. He uses non-technical language and his videos are easy to watch.

I will thanks!
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Lol. I’m sure you will get the hang of it. I went after some catfish last night. Threw several different flies and couldn’t get a bite from a bluegill for anything. Picked up a beetle spin my son had tied on and caught 6 within 10 minutes. Not sure what was up with that. Then I didn’t get a single catfish bite. Oh well. Nice afternoon to be on the river.
    I went out to the pond today. Calm day. I slowed down and it worked well. I was getting 50-60’ out of this little thing with very little work. Got 2 small bream but had a ball just casting this little pole. From 30-40’ it was effortless. Roll casts like a champ. A whopping $30 well spent. I’m gonna have fun with this one!

19. Moderator
    Sweet. I was peeping a Sage 9' 6wt on craigslist today...$150. I really don't need another rod

20. Banned
    May have to give a fly rod a try. After getting back into fishing last year, I very seldom bass fish anymore, mostly bluegill all the time now. Ultralight spinning gear with beetle spins, rooster tails and small jigs with creature baits.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast