Thread: Jerk bait rod.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jerk bait rod.

Looking for a new jerk bait rod any suggestions fellas. I’m currently using a DC 704cb.

2. Member
    Any preference on length, budget, etc. or what type of jerkbaits you'll be throwing? I've been using an iRod IRG6102 jerkbait rod, it has worked really well for me, soft enough that it will load up and cast small 3" jerkbaits fine, but still has enough power to cast 1/2oz 110+2. It even has enough backbone to set the hook on a heavy EWG with a fluke.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

3. Member
    My favorite jerkbait rod is the bps crankin stick 7’med
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Take a look at the Megabass Levante Jerkbait Special. Its a good one. The Orochi XX in same model is great too.

I've gone through a bunch of different rods for jerkbaits and my favorite at this moment is the Daiwa Tatula 701MLRB. I mainly throw Vision 110's, Vision 110+1's and occasionally 78 Pointers and 95 Squad Minnows and the rod is perfect for that.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klinger N Ok View Post
    I've gone through a bunch of different rods for jerkbaits and my favorite at this moment is the Daiwa Tatula 701MLRB. I mainly throw Vision 110's, Vision 110+1's and occasionally 78 Pointers and 95 Squad Minnows and the rod is perfect for that.
    My recommendation is similar. Daiwa tatulaq 701mrb. You can spend more but won't find better

7. Member
    Expride 6’10 medium but it’s a difficult rod to find in stock these days.

8. Moderator
    I have the ALX Kelly Jaye special.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Take a look at the Megabass Levante Jerkbait Special. Its a good one. The Orochi XX in same model is great too.
    This ^^^^ and both of the Megabass rods work fantastic for top water walking baits also
    And will also throw in the Expride 6'10 M/F

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    I have the ALX Kelly Jaye special.
    Very pleased with my ALX Kelly Jaye.

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Very pleased with my ALX Kelly Jaye.
    This model is now called the ZOLO Jerkbait and is a very strong seller for guys fishing 110 size jbs,

The ZOLO Jerkbait delivers superb performance for walking jerkbaits with little effort and giving awesome backbone to increase landing ratios. The tip is designed to give the right amount but not require an intense slashing motion which wears out your arm fishing all day. A specially added reel seat nut provides comfort for your finger while working the bait. The handle is specifically made short enough to avoid hanging on clothes while working the bait as well.

• Line: 8 - 18#
    • Lure: 3/8 - 3/4 oz
    • Length: 6'9"
    • Power: Medium+
    • Action: Fast
    • Average Rod Weight: 4.25 oz
    • Handle Length: 8.5" (End of butt to back of reel seat)
    • Number of Guides: 9

12. Member
    Depends on what u wanna spend on the rod... there ALOT of viable options out there
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

13. Member
    ALX Zolo Jerkbait rod. Great handle length and action.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcazmo View Post
    My recommendation is similar. Daiwa tatulaq 701mrb. You can spend more but won't find better
    That’s the same one I use, and I love it for all but my bigger jerkbaits. It throws the Vision 110’s and my Rozante 77SP’s very well. It has a nice short handle so it isn’t getting in your way, and the action is perfect for what I want for jerkbaits.

The Tatula 701MLRB and 701MRB are both very good jerk bait rods. Some guys prefer the lighter power of the ML, some guys like the Medium. Either way, they both have a nice deeper flex to the blank, load and cast nicely, and keep fish pinned.

I also really like the Tatula Elite 6'9" MLRB Seth Feider for jerk baits. Being a little shorter, it helps prevent smacking the water on the quick downward snap.

16. Member
    I've cycled through a few. Currently using the Expride 6'10 Medium and am very happy with it.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

17. Member
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I will check out all of these and pick a stick and try it out. I'm a believer in you get what you pay for so I'm good with a 200/350$ rod. I started fishing mega bass 110s last fall, needless to say I'm hooked its a blast and is very productive.

18. Member
    This year I've gone from a Carbonlite 2.0 to a Lew's KVD Jerkbait rod, to a Megabass Levante Jerkbait Special. Caught a bunch of fish this winter/spring on the KVD rod, mostly on 110's. Really good rod for jerkbaits at a great price point. I just got the Levante and haven't used it but a few times. It casts great, a little better than the KVD, and feels totally different on retrieve, a little softer feel. I have landed a few fish on it but really haven't been throwing a jerkbait that much. It'll get a good work out once it starts cooling off enough fish all day.
    Last edited by MarkG52; 07-29-2021 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Spelling
    2021 Vexus AVX 1880 Summit White
    115 Mercury ProXS
    Ultrex
    Twin HBirds
    Garmin 93
    Garmin Livescope

19. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDRINE View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I will check out all of these and pick a stick and try it out. I'm a believer in you get what you pay for so I'm good with a 200/350$ rod. I started fishing mega bass 110s last fall, needless to say I'm hooked its a blast and is very productive.
    If you're fishing Vision 110's a lot then I'd suggest a Megabass rod that was designed to throw it at whatever price point you are comfortable with.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

20. Member
    Thanks everyone, I went with the Megabass F4.5-611LV Jerk Bait Special. So next question what’s your suggestion on reel gear ratio. I’m using a 6 ish I figured can’t go wrong with that. But is there a better choice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast