Thread: Jerk bait rod.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I've got a Tatula SV in 7.3:1 on my MB Jerkbait Special.
    2021 Vexus AVX 1880 Summit White
    115 Mercury ProXS
    Ultrex
    Twin HBirds
    Garmin 93
    Garmin Livescope

Quote Originally Posted by VIDRINE View Post
    Thanks everyone, I went with the Megabass F4.5-611LV Jerk Bait Special. So next question what’s your suggestion on reel gear ratio. I’m using a 6 ish I figured can’t go wrong with that. But is there a better choice.
    I use a Shimano Alderbaran 50 MGL and its the sweetest jerkbait reel I have every used bar none,,light and can cast 110's like a bullet ,, I use a 6.5.1 ratio for jerkbaits as i tend to overwork the baits with a faster reel ,,, but for me anything in a 6--something range is good

Quote Originally Posted by plbass View Post
    I have the ALX Kelly Jaye special.
    It's a great rod and reasonably priced.

4. Member
    I have no problem using an 8.1:1 with a jerkbait, but I've used 7 and 6 speeds also. I do prefer at least a 7:1 though. I like to target fish with a jerkbait, so I'll make a longer cast near something, and only work 15-20' then reel in and cast for another target, that's where the faster ratio is nice.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

5. Member
    Thanks everyone, I went with the Megabass F4.5-611LV Jerk Bait Special. So next question what’s your suggestion on reel gear ratio. I’m using a 6 ish I figured can’t go wrong with that. But is there a better choice.
    Hi all
    so I received my new megabass rod Sunday. I fished with it today it’s awesome just what I was looking far. It’s my first megabass product I’m impressed. Nothing like buying a new rod and being disappointed been their to many times. Thank you all for your help.

Hi all
    so I received my new megabass rod Sunday. I fished with it today it’s awesome just what I was looking far. It’s my first megabass product I’m impressed. Nothing like buying a new rod and being disappointed been their to many times. Thank you all for your help.

7. Member
    Expride or zodias tough to beat for money
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

I put a curado 70mgl hg on my 2021 levante jerkbait special, I love using that setup!
    Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

9. Member
    Expride

10. Member
    I would suggest that you look at the Zolo Jerkbait rod, I love fishing jerkbaits and this is a really versatile rod, you can throw it around docks or launch it across flats.

11. Member
    I have a Levante jerk bait special coming and will pair it with my Curado 150 DC. Can't wait to fish jerks on this combo
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

12. Member
    I got my MB Levante jerk bait special and love the rod. The only thing I don't like is the location of the hook/bait keeper.....it's under the handle! Can't imagine anyone thinking this a good location for it. Only fished it a couple of times and stabbed myself once already Otherwise it's a great rod.

13. Member
    OK I have been looking for a Jerkbait rod for some time. I have tried a St Croix Legend Tourney 68mf that is actually super nice but a bit short. I have legend elite in 6'8" and 7 that just aren't right for jerk baits. So yesterday I picked up a Shimano SLX 610MXF Casting rod. The rod is usually a combo rod. You might see if for sale for $99. I got it for $59! Took it out today, Turns out, the rod is Fantastic for Jerkbaits. Throws Reranges and Reragne MRs really great. Very light in the tip, I jerked the thing constantly for 4 hours today, Landed largess up to 4.25, 4lb smallies and 15 walleyEs 17-25'.

FOR $60 I AM SOLD. Picking up another tomorrow.

Pretty hard to imagine 1 jerk bait road that can do it all with jerk baits from flash pointer to Kanata.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Pretty hard to imagine 1 jerk bait road that can do it all with jerk baits from flash pointer to Kanata.
    No one has mentioned a Kanata that I know of in this thread ,, the Levante will handle many things but a Kanata is not one of them or a 110 +2 , it will handle a 110+1 but that's the limit ,, it does handle top water walking baits really well and it will do for a squarebill / lipless in a pinch

If your hand is hitting the hook keeper on a Levante you must have big hands. Also there are no sharp edges on the keeper at all.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    If your hand is hitting the hook keeper on a Levante you must have big hands. Also there are no sharp edges on the keeper at all.
    Doesn't bother me casting it. Its when I grab the rod out of the box with a jerkbait hooked to the hook keeper.....ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Doesn't bother me casting it. Its when I grab the rod out of the box with a jerkbait hooked to the hook keeper.....ouch!
    I understand....

19. Member
    Big fan of the Alpha Angler Slasher. 6' 10" Med power, Fast action.
    Last edited by DMart1; 10-07-2021 at 03:13 PM.

20. Member
    No point in spending a lot. Tatula 701MRB is amazing. I've caught tons of fish throwing 110s, +1s, jrs, etc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast