93 Johnson Fast Strike 150 Shift Rod Connect Help

Hey All I'm new to outboard and boats in general so bear w/ me if I use wrong terminology. I did the impeller on my 93 150 fast strike yesterday on a boat I Just purchased a few weeks ago. I'm trying to get it back together and am having an issue getting the shift linkage back together. I can rotate the shaft connection w/ the pin down far enough to align w/ the shaft from the lower unit as it is hitting the screw location circled in red in the first attached image. Is there a way to get the shaft from the lower higher up so I can get the pin aligned to the hole?

Second, I found this rubber house shaped piece (second attached image) on the ground I think it got knocked off when I put the lower unit back on. Looks to me like it's supposed to go over the shaft from the lower unit. As you can see it's also damaged so I'll need a new one but can I run the outboard in the mean time w/ this part missing or am I asking for trouble?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I was able to get the shift linkage together but could still use some help on the rubber piece.