Thread: V8 Face Seal

V8 Face Seal

Serial Number 1E081216..Don I have removed the lower unit twice now and each time the Face Seal has been up the driveshaft about 6 inches. Is their a trick to getting this seal to stay put? Today I installed the water pump kit I bought from You and after setting the new face seal that came in the kit I placed the old face seal upside down against the top of the new seal to hopefully keep it in place.Your thoughts ?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Clean the shaft with a mild solvent, and clean the inside of the seal with the same. You want absolutely ZERO slick-stuff between that seal and the shaft.

Install seal BONE DRY with the seal setting tool.

THEN apply grease to the driveshaft splines and water tube connector (as needed).

If you are bouncing in and out of the water much- the ram pressure can actually drive the seal up the shaft a good ways (almost sounds like this might be what you're experiencing). If so... two (2) drops of THIN CA may solve the problem for you (toothpick to open small gap at top of seal, apply one drop in gap and remove toothpick... repeat on other side of shaft).

NOTE: If you go this route- remember to dissolve and REMOVE all of the CA next time you go to pull the water pump.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank's Don!

4. Member
    Don, What is the thin CA?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Model Airplane Glue, or Super-Glue.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank's Don!