Thread: CAT Scales

CAT Scales

Since I had no idea what the jet boat weighs I decided to start with that one. I'll take the Triton in a couple of days.

I had never used a CAT scale before and it took two tries to get it right. The first time I thought I only wanted the trailer axle on the scale. When I saw the print out I figured out the proper procedure. Readings were steer axle - 2980, drive axle - 3300, trailer axle - 3160.

For purposes of choosing tires and pressure I figure the trailer axle is the important number. I am also assuming that unless you know the drive axle weight without the trailer that number doesn't help you much. If you want to know the tongue weight do you unhitch on the scale and have the jack stand on the part of the scale that would normally read the drive axle? Alternatively I could take the truck back and weigh it alone.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You should be able to go for a reweigh on the same day and get your truck axles so you’d know the tongue weight.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You should be able to go for a reweigh on the same day and get your truck axles so you’d know the tongue weight.
    Actually I did the reweigh today when I screwed it up the first time. I found out there’s an app that you can use right at the scale. That will make it easier when I take the Triton. I can weigh it, unhitch, and then weigh the truck. Then I will know the tongue weight for both rigs.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

Pull on all the way forward with the steer axle on the first scale, the rear axle on the second scale and the trailer on the last scale to where all is weighed. The forward reading is the steer axle, the second is the TRUCK rear axle and the last is the Trailer axle. Disconnect the trailer with the Jack resting on the middle scale and the trailer axle on the last scale to get the tongue weight.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    Trailer tongue scales are relatively inexpensive.