Pro XS 175 surging

2020 Pro XS 175 s#2B771599 with 45hrs purchased May 2020

My last two outings I’ve had some surging by up to 300rpm when cruising at above 3,500rpm. It’s not an issue at all below that rpm or at idle. The motor and boat are just over a year old. There are no observed faults. My first thought was to replace the fuel filter/water separator, so a new one is on order. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Thanks guys.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Start with the filter. It's an ANNUAL maintenance item anyway... so it's overdue.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I replaced the fuel filter and that seems to have done the trick. I guess my new boat must have had some debris in the tank or something. I'll be sure to replace it yearly from now in. Thanks.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I take that back. The surging has returned. Is it possible that it has something to do with the adaptive speed control system? How many rpm will that system adjust up and down to maintain speed? Is it that noticeable?

Whats the new fuel filter look like? Any possibility its fouled up with debris again?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonrs View Post
    Whats the new fuel filter look like? Any possibility its fouled up with debris again?
    I’ve only put 5hrs on it since I changed the filter, but I suppose anything is possible. The filter is not transparent and can’t be taken apart, so there is no way to check it without removing it and cutting it open.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It is actually possible. Also possible that it's something in the boat side of the system (separate portable fuel supply with it's own line, plumbed directly to the engine is the easiest way to rule that out).

9. Member
    I wouldn’t doubt it being a problem on the boat side of the fuel system. This Ranger is the worst large purchase I’ve ever made in my life. No offense to the vision impaired, but I think they’re hiring blind people to do the final assembly.. that or they have an open bar policy at their factory. Now I just need to decide if I’m going to continue fixing things on a 1 1/2 year old boat, or take it back to the dealer, again, with another long list. Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by MidwestBoater; 09-07-2021 at 07:48 PM.