Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post
    Level the motor up and down, put a 2x4 under the skeg and take a little pressure off, don’t try to lift the boat off the trailer. Back the nuts off all four bolts and the motor will loosen from the plate, take one side of the bolts out and slide the shims in and put the bolts back in, do same thing to other side and tighten up. I’m 180lbs with 2 herniated discs in my lower back and did my boat and my buddies boat in about thirty minutes. Very simple and easy, no hoist needed.
    Did you put the wedges between Transom & Jackplate or between Jackplate & Engine ?
    2022 Caymas CX21
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    2022 Benchmark Tandem Trailer

2. Member
    JP and motor.

JP and motor.
    Thank you. I was under the impression that the wedges had to go between Transom & Jack Plate. Post a Picture if you could please.
    2022 Caymas CX21
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    2022 Benchmark Tandem Trailer

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandLegend View Post
    Thank you. I was under the impression that the wedges had to go between Transom & Jack Plate. Post a Picture if you could please.
    I used Bob's black powder coated, but here's a pic showing between JP and engine. Did it by myself by lowering engine onto a rubber block and supporting engine from lift points with forks on the front end of small tractor. Just loosened bolts slowly to make sure everything was stable. I did use the 2 degree washers although I'm sure they made any real difference.

2 Degree Wedges.jpg

5. Member
    Level the motor up and down, put a 2x4 under the skeg and take a little pressure off, don’t try to lift the boat off the trailer. Back the nuts off all four bolts and the motor will loosen from the plate, take one side of the bolts out and slide the shims in and put the bolts back in, do same thing to other side and tighten up. I’m 180lbs with 2 herniated discs in my lower back and did my boat and my buddies boat in about thirty minutes. Very simple and easy, no hoist needed.
    I have done this exact thing several times over the years and never had any problems my self. After working in our shop for 20 plus years it’s not a good way to do it though, guy needs a lifting ring and some type host, I have heard of few guys breaking their skags while doing this.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    I have done this exact thing several times over the years and never had any problems my self. After working in our shop for 20 plus years it’s not a good way to do it though, guy needs a lifting ring and some type host, I have heard of few guys breaking their skags while doing this.
    I’m sure that could happen, if I remember correctly I did my tritons every year from 2015 to 2020 and now my last three Caymas rigs and never had a problem. Motor straight up and down and straight forward may help, I watch that very close and don’t get stupid trying to horse it around.

7. Member
    I asked my dealer to order me a set of wedges for my new boat so they could install them when it finally comes in, he told me that Earl said you don't need wedges, he said if you are having issues it is either with the height of engine, the prop, or both. I guess we will see, I know I had to put wedges on my old 2017 Triton TRX, it did help top end but it also hurt my hole shot.

8. Member
    Gotta hand it to Cx21 Pro! I installed the 2degree wedges by myself last night. Like he said you get the motor vertical and lower the jack plate so the skeg puts pressure on the 2x4. I ran into a problem accessing one of the bolts because the hydraulic assembly was in the way of the head of the bolt. I simply raised the jack plate and then lowered it onto two 2x4’s. This allowed me to access that bolt. Make sure when you are tightening everything up that you tighten the top bolts on each side first before you tighten the bottom bolts. If you don’t, then you will not be able to tighten the top bolts so everything is flush, since the thickest part of the wedge is at the bottom. I hope this makes sense. Props to Cx21 Pro. Good dude!

9. Member
    Looks great! I like the black jack plate and black wedges. Nice, clean look.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 19trx Patriot View Post
    Gotta hand it to Cx21 Pro! I installed the 2degree wedges by myself last night. Like he said you get the motor vertical and lower the jack plate so the skeg puts pressure on the 2x4. I ran into a problem accessing one of the bolts because the hydraulic assembly was in the way of the head of the bolt. I simply raised the jack plate and then lowered it onto two 2x4’s. This allowed me to access that bolt. Make sure when you are tightening everything up that you tighten the top bolts on each side first before you tighten the bottom bolts. If you don’t, then you will not be able to tighten the top bolts so everything is flush, since the thickest part of the wedge is at the bottom. I hope this makes sense. Props to Cx21 Pro. Good dude!
    Glad it went good for you bud, hope it helps on performance and enjoyed visiting with you on the phone sir.

11. Member
    Likewise

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    I asked my dealer to order me a set of wedges for my new boat so they could install them when it finally comes in, he told me that Earl said you don't need wedges, he said if you are having issues it is either with the height of engine, the prop, or both. I guess we will see, I know I had to put wedges on my old 2017 Triton TRX, it did help top end but it also hurt my hole shot.
    I was talking with Earl few weeks ago about a few things, he told me the same thing you don’t need the wedges. I know on my CX 20 I don’t run out of trim before hitting top end, but I do run lithium batteries so they could make a little difference!!

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    I was talking with Earl few weeks ago about a few things, he told me the same thing you don’t need the wedges. I know on my CX 20 I don’t run out of trim before hitting top end, but I do run lithium batteries so they could make a little difference!!
    I run lithium trolling batteries, and an agm cranking battery. I definitely run out of trim.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    I run lithium trolling batteries, and an agm cranking battery. I definitely run out of trim.
    Mine runs out of trim to. Its a earlier boat, not sure if that matters.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    Me too, that’s why I added the wedges. These heavy trolling motors on the bow doesn’t help either.

16. Banned
    With all do respect to the Mighty Bentz the cx21 and wedges situation is completely a choice/preference deal. Of course they dont need them its a Earl Bentz boat it rides and performs great theres no dying need to add the 2° wedges, BUT if you want a couple more mph and rpms along with a more free feeling and not have to push the effort then add the wedges. Either way its a win win and you all are worthy behind the wheel of this Chariot. Stay on pad brothers ✌��

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bentzboatwhisperer View Post
    With all do respect to the Mighty Bentz the cx21 and wedges situation is completely a choice/preference deal. Of course they dont need them its a Earl Bentz boat it rides and performs great theres no dying need to add the 2° wedges, BUT if you want a couple more mph and rpms along with a more free feeling and not have to push the effort then add the wedges. Either way its a win win and you all are worthy behind the wheel of this Chariot. Stay on pad brothers ✌��
    What if you have a 300R hanging off the back ? I will add the wedges but hope I do not have to mess with it.

18. Member
    What if you have a 300R hanging off the back ? I will add the wedges but hope I do not have to mess with it.
    You won’t, only reason I did was after I put lithium’s in it threw everything off balance wise. I lost RPM and trim, just trying to get both back and it worked.

19. Member
    Personally I don’t think you will need any especially with the extra power that beast has!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12