250 proxs 2s vs 300r 4s on a 21hp. Any real world results?

Toying with the idea of repowering in the next year (or 2023 if one can even be found) and wondering if anyone has experience with the swap?

Holeshot? Midrange? Top end? Fuel economy? Oil usage?..oh wait..haha. Maintenance?

Can props be swapped or not?

Probably my last boat and the 250 has no issues, just thinking of a new engine for another 5 years or so.

2. Member
    Nobody? Really?

ok, make something up.

Like...yeah I'm seeing a holeshot of 2 seconds to plane and touching 90 on a cool day and a light load and I usually get about 400 miles on 20 gallons and I've got 3000 hours on it and have never had to add oil or spark plugs...

Or something???

3. Member
    Don't have a 300R but do have a 300 ProXS. My boat is a 2012 21HP, had a 250 ProXS on it when I bought it in 2015. Had over 600 hours, air compressor when out in April 2020, 1300 dollars and nearly 700 hours on motor I decided to replace motor. I have been trying a bunch of different props and so far a 24 pitch Fury 4 is the best summer prop. Here in Arkansas our summers are hot and humid so we have to prop different than a winter prop. I have also have a 25 Fury 4 , but holeshot with tournament load was slow. I fish a local Tuesday night tournament and it's a blast off launch. The fastest holeshot gets the clean water and if you can get to low to mid 70's faster than anybody else you not going to be caught unless somebody can run in the 80's. The 24 Fury 4 has ran 75.7 at 6130 with 1 livewell full, with a little less than a Bass Pro Shop store worth tackle in the boat. I'm trying out a 24 pitch Tempest Plus right now, 75.4 mph at 6140 rpms and was still climbing when I backed off, air temp was 90 and water temp was 80. Don't think the Tempest is a true 24 pitch cause slip numbers are in the 5 precent range. Boat has ran 79.7 at 6180 with 25 Fury 4 last February when air temp was low 50's, water temp high 40's. I really like this motor, but hammered down it will suck gas, but then again it is 300 hp. I can't compare it to a 300R since never been in a boat with one, but with a 6400 limit vs 6200, I would think you could drop one more inch in pitch and it would be a rocket out of the hole.
    Hope this helps and I got more info if you need it.

4. Member
    Thanks so much. I actually have both those 4 blade props and was wondering if a worked 26 tempest plus would be a good winter/light load prop?
    I know I'm a little shocked on the fuel difference from my previous TR-196 with a 200 when at wot but just cruising around the proxs 250 is about the same so hammering a 300 would probably shock me.
    I figured the top end would be better by 5-8mph but I'm wondering if the holeshot is that much better with a 300 as putting a load in the summer the 24 does struggle a bit with the 250.

5. Member
    Don't know about a 26 Tempest, though it should run about the same rpms as a 25 Fury 3 blade. I had a guy who runs a go fast bass shop do prop testing this past winter for me. He's the one that got the 79.8 mph out of the boat. He tested a 26 Tempest, 25 Fury, 25 Fury 4 blade, a 27 bravo xs that I had, a 26 pro max and a 28 mirage. He was testing pitch and diameter trying to see which combination worked best. The v8 4 stokes are different from the hot hod 2 stokes that he normally runs. He's a drag boat racer, has a bullet with a 300xs mercury on nitrous and has run 118 in 1000 feet. He told me if my boat was his he would take the 2 graphs and that heavy mind Kota ultex trolling motor. Wind resistant and weight in the front of a boat is proformace killer. He also said he would replace the 10 inch atlas jackplate with a 14 inch model. Said more leverage in the rear helps.to.carry the bow. The 2 degree wedges, either Bob's or TH Marine, with give more positive trim. Triton boats have more angle in the transom than does other manufacturers. That the reason you see wedges recommended for Tritons some much. What I have done to my boat is 2 degree wedges a TH Marine 4 inch high jacket jackplate added to the 10 inch Atlas jackplate. I put the high jacker, 300hp version against the transom, atlas hydraulic next, then 2 degree wedges. The reason I went with the highjacker is it allows 3 to 5 inches of lift, which allow me to set the atlas in the middle of its range and be 2 inches below the pad. Boats drives real easy in the low to Iow 70's. Boat still has a slow chimewalk low sixty's but once above that the chimewalk seems to go away. Go fast guy came to the conclusion that the 25 Fury 4 blade. Was best overall prop, best slip numbers and drive abilities.

6. Member
    The 26 tempest prop is the go to prop for 21 foot tritons with 250 pro xs. Mine came with a 25 Fury that suck every where except holeshot and topend. I went to bravo xs with the optimal and liked everything about it except topend. I'm testing a 24 Tempest and a 24 Promax right now, both props have great bow lift. I'm hoping with either of these two props to be able to remove the wedges which will help the holeshot with props. With the wedges in the Fury 4 blade has best holeshot cause of the flared barrel, which the Tempest and Promax does not have. The Fury 4 blade lift good, but nothing like Tempest, the Promax prop is the most lifting and hardest accelerating prop I have every ran. Was going to try one last year and called Mercury Racing to find Mort info, they said that they had no info on heavy bass boats. Prop was designed as a drag boat prop, and they had only tested on Allison's and Bullets. Good luck with boat if you decide.to go with a.300 v8.

7. Member
    Thanks. I’m responding to bass cat’s advertising they have a used tempest plus 26p for sale.

Not sure if I had the $28k right now I could even find a 300r or 300 proxs available for another year.

I will say the 4 blade props with the current 250pxs have had me low-mid 70’s with very little chine walk.