Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why do pros never have covers on their graphs?

Even when trailering? I saw wheeler had snow all over his screen one time. Doesn’t make any sense

The price they want for those plastic covers makes you almost want a cover to protect the cover....

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.

3. Member
    Maybe because they're getting new ones next year, while the rest of us hang on to ours for a while and need to keep them nicer for longer. Just a guess.

I sometimes question why they sell covers, since typically your screens face the rear and are not likely to get hit by anything while trailering them. At least that's how mine are set up. Although there is that rare occasion where something could happen. Lowrance calls their covers "sun covers", but the only time mine see the sun is when I'm fishing and need to be able to see the screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassalive View Post
    The price they want for those plastic covers makes you almost want a cover to protect the cover....
    ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^even for those guys.....

Spanky

5. Member
    I've been fishing for a very long time and my current boat has 4 units on it. I have Never used the covers.

6. Member
    I would say that is logical but there are a lot of guys who have gone into the free market in terms of electronic sponsorships just so they can have the freedom to run whatever brand they like or multiple brands at the same time. Wheeler being one of those. Those guys pay for their stuff with their own money. I did see Brandon Cobb stand on The screen of his graph wild sight fishing one time, but he is sponsored so I didn’t really think much of it other than to cringe at the site of that.

I am in the same situation you are and keep my boat in the garage. I agree with you, Chances are slim something would happen while trailering but just from a weather perspective (heat, ice, pollen), I would think it would be a no brainer. Those guys are very particular about every little thing they do and they have a reason for everything they do. Just something I’ve always wondered because you never see a pro with a cover on the graph, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    Maybe because they're getting new ones next year, while the rest of us hang on to ours for a while and need to keep them nicer for longer. Just a guess.

I sometimes question why they sell covers, since typically your screens face the rear and are not likely to get hit by anything while trailering them. At least that's how mine are set up. Although there is that rare occasion where something could happen. Lowrance calls their covers "sun covers", but the only time mine see the sun is when I'm fishing and need to be able to see the screens.

7. Member
    what is your reasoning behind that? Not trying to poke or prod I am just curious if there’s a logical explanation for why people don’t

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat188 View Post
    I've been fishing for a very long time and my current boat has 4 units on it. I have Never used the covers.

8. Member
    The covers that came with my birds are pretty legit covers. Thick, tight fitting rubber. Much better than the covers that were on my Lowrances. The replacement covers for birds are around $50 which I think is a somewhat reasonable price for that type of cover

Quote Originally Posted by Bassalive View Post

I rarely if ever have covered my graphs while trailering. I go from house to lake then back to house. Boat is stored in garage. If traveling and I plan on stopping and going inside a business etc I remove them, put covers on and keep in my truck. Same at a cabin or motel.
    I personally see no need for me to cover them while trailering.

10. Member
    I take my graphs off while trailering anyways

11. Member
    In 40 years of fishing I've never used a cover and never had a graph broken from flying rocks or debris. A cover wouldn't do anything for road debris in the first place unless its a magic rock like the jfk bullet that can do a 180.

12. Member
    I left the covers on once and one got blown off. Since I have a fairly long drive I pull the graphs off except for the dash mounted one.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I rarely if ever have covered my graphs while trailering. I go from house to lake then back to house. Boat is stored in garage. If traveling and I plan on stopping and going inside a business etc I remove them, put covers on and keep in my truck. Same at a cabin or motel.
    I personally see no need for me to cover them while trailering.
    Same for me.
    Bass Boat