Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    The reason I don’t fool with is they don’t do anything. If anything, I would need to protect the back of the unit while towing not the front. If I was worried about snow, rain, sun.....well the entire day I’m out on the water it’s in that stuff. When I home it’s inside it my garage out of the elements.

2. Member
    My Garmins snap out, place them in a case, never need a cover.

3. Member
    I’m in the camp with those that don’t cover but my boat is behind the truck to and from the lake or on the water. If it sat outside uncovered for any duration I would put them on. I used them when boat would be sitting at the camper while I would take a after noon nap.

I'm in the no cover camp...

5. Banned
    Hummingbird covers stay on no problem

6. Member
    I use the cover if I take them off the boat for some reason which is rare. They protect them form my handling them or bumping into something on the floorboard or in a table or something like that. They do nothing for me when they are in the mounts on the boat.

7. Member
    im running garmin...heres the catch, i know lots of guys have been talking about that snap out system and I think i am a victim of the faulty snap lock on mine. My one unit is a total PITA to get to latch into the holder properly. Even scarier is sometimes it feels like its locked in but it definitely is not. Hence I keep the graphs in the mount. I have been scared to drive with the covers on though down the highway out of fear that they will be gone when i arrive.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

I will cover them if taking off the boat and storing , but usually no covers as boat is in the garage

2009 ELITE 210

9. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I have never removed or covered any electronics on any of my boats.

Dale Sinclair original

10. Member
    I'm with some of the others...only time my covers get used is when the units are off boat for some reason. I usually pull them if I need drop it off somewhere for service or something like that.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

11. Member
    These dang things are expensive. If im not fishing they have their covers on and in a waterproof case which is lined with foam.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRISONER View Post
    I’ve always taken my covers off simply because I figured they would certainly blow off…anyone have any experience with your covers and If they stay on at 70mph?

my are always covered … I use these never an issue ..

96EAF0A8-4395-45E9-9E53-AEBAEE8E6F85.jpeg

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

13. Member
    I don’t really use the covers for protection, just use them when boat is put up because I wipe the screens down after fishing and don’t want condensation and water spots forming on clean glass.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

I picked up some stretchy neoprene covers from Cabela’s BC a few years ago. Fit perfect, keep the dust and pollen off. Takes about 1 second to put on and off.

15. Member
    Solix/helix covers stay on, no problem

I’ve always taken my covers off simply because I figured they would certainly blow off…anyone have any experience with your covers and If they stay on at 70mph?

16. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I think the pros you see with their graphs not covered when traveling on the highway from one event to another are also the ones that pay little attention to detail of how their rig looks. Their main priority is function and its no issue if its dirty or looks horrible as long as it works because more than likely they are getting a new one the very next year or at the least every 2-3 years. If all they are doing is go from their room to the local lake then I see no need to cover. The ones you see removing the covers in the morning when the boat is launched is more than likely the one with a clean boat and goes out of their way to keep things looking good.

Personally I keep mine covered all the time except for when I am fishing my local lake which is only 4 miles away. When fishing my local lake I will get some of the stuff ready to launch the boat before I even leave the house. When traveling elsewhere the covers stay on.

17. Member
    My covers have always stayed in the boxes the graphs came in. Have never had any damage while driving.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

18. Member
    After an incident I had last month, I’m sold on the covers. I have harming and have always used the covers (even with my old low ranges I did...no problem with them coming off even passing semis at 90). Well, about a month ago, I went to Nebraska to pre fish a tournament. I had my boat drift away from the dock and jumped to it. Made it in the boat but skinned my leg good. Fished the whole day with my leg tore up so I finally left. I was gonna drive straight to the store and get some first aid stuff but decided to pack up everything in the shade. I took the graphs off like usual, but forgot to put them in the truck and left them sitting on the bow and drove off.
    I got about a mile down the road when I realized I didn’t put them in the back seat, slowed down gently, didn’t see them in the mirror so I stopped. My 126 was still on the bow. The rubbery cover held it in place. The 102 was stacked on top was gone. I turned around to head back towards the ramp, fearing the worst. Found the cover laying in the road about 20’ from where I originally stopped, the graph was about 15’ from that in the grass on the shoulder. The two trim pieces for the graph were beat up (lost one in the lake) and the cover is cracked on one corner, but aside from a couple scuffs, the graph is fine. Works fine. Without the cover, I’m positive I would have had to replace a graph (or both).
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

19. Member
    I have to admit that there isn't much need for a cover except when stowing them away but for some reason I almost always cover them while trailering or when in the garage. HOWEVER, just a few weeks ago I had rods strapped to the deck and found several reels covered in bird crap when I got to the lake. I'll keep using the covers just because ... crap happens.

20. Member
    Mine all stay on but they have a Velcro strap around them too. Fishing close to home I just leave the covers off and in the garage.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast