MG charging alert: Do you unplug your motor?

I was just browsing the MG FB users forum and ran across a post telling folks to unplug motors prior to charging. I bought my Xi5 used but was told they include a big red tag alerting buyers to unplug it or it could destroy the GPS. Could this be the trouble folks are seeing on the GPS on the new Tour models?

I think it's a pretty stupid requirement but I'll start doing it...I've not had a problem after months of ignorant ownership.

Are we really ready for space tourism?

2. Member
    You bet. Too many horror stories. Any brand. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    John Jones used to mention this frequently years ago. The MK digital motors, when the switch on the side of the pedal was in the "off" position, did not disconnect the control board from the battery. So unplugging, or using a disconnect switch was necessary during charging. Not so with the digital MG motors though, like the older Tour Editions. In the "off" position of the switch, they were disconnected, so unplugging was unnecessary. Not sure of the new Tour models though or your X15.

I have always run MK, so, as I dislike unplugging each time, I use a battery disconnect. A good bet is to use a combo breaker/disconnect like Blue Seas makes with any troller.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    Yep
    Says in right in the users manual. Unplug before charging.
    Power surges could cause chargers to send over voltage down line. It’s always been good practice to turn off all boat breakers before charging also.

5. Member
    My boat has a pretty old electrical system which appears to have been reworked a couple times leaving me with a huge python of wires running from the console to the battery compartment. I do have a 12V master switch which should protect my finders and such from the 12V battery charger. The 36V system on the trolling motor though does seem worth the precaution of unplugging. I put together a whole switching parts system from Amazon that came to $100. It would isolate all batteries on two separate switches but decided that the starter battery was just not an issue. I'll also just unplug the trolling motor prior to charging.
    If someone is concerned about power surges that could overcome the battery charger circuitry a good old surge protector between the 120V source and the charger would seem like the easy fix. Then your pricey charger is protected as well.

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Damaging power surges would be rare for most any modern chargeroutputs unless perhaps lightning has infiltrated the charger's power line. Reason for need to disconnect trolling motors from chargers includes isolating from 1) the highbattery charging voltages present during final stages of charging and 2) the non DC components present in the charging voltages that may include AC line leakages or unfiltered high frequency switching power supply artifacts.........either are damaging to delicate trolling motor electrical components.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 07-24-2021 at 09:09 PM.

I've had boats long before Trolling Motors and Graphs were even invented !! (Yep, I'm THAT old !!) It's ALWAYS been advisable to disconnect or unplug before plugging in the charger. That's pretty much why the Battery Cut Off Switch and Trolling Motor Plug was installed on most boats from the factory.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    I am old enough to remember not to leave a battery on a concrete floor.

9. Member
    I got you by a couple years but there was an electric trolling motor before me.

Minn Kota electric Trollingmotors began life in 1934 in Fargo, North Dakota. Mr. O. G. Schmidt, inventor of the Trollingmotor, was known to be a man of many diverse ideas. Prior to the Trollingmotor, Mr. Schmidt invented, produced and sold a copper soldering torch from his home in Wheatland, North Dakota. Due to its success, manufacturing operations were then moved to Fargo. Because of its proximity to the MINNesota – North DaKOTA border, Mr. Schmidt named the business The Minn Kota Manufacturing Company.
    Minn Kota electric Trollingmotors began life in 1934 in Fargo, North Dakota. Mr. O. G. Schmidt, inventor of the Trollingmotor, was known to be a man of many diverse ideas. Prior to the Trollingmotor, Mr. Schmidt invented, produced and sold a copper soldering torch from his home in Wheatland, North Dakota. Due to its success, manufacturing operations were then moved to Fargo. Because of its proximity to the MINNesota – North DaKOTA border, Mr. Schmidt named the business The Minn Kota Manufacturing Company.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    I am old enough to remember not to leave a battery on a concrete floor.
    I still don’t do this

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    I got you by a couple years but there was an electric trolling motor before me.

Interesting history
    Interesting history
    🤣

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E-rude_Dude View Post
    Interesting history
    Interesting history
    You can say that again!!

13. Banned
    Can always pick up a marine circuit breaker good for 12-48V and 60A to interrupt the positive side of the trolling motor circuit. Cheap, easy to install at the batteries. Also adds a layer of safety.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Can always pick up a marine circuit breaker good for 12-48V and 60A to interrupt the positive side of the trolling motor circuit. Cheap, easy to install at the batteries. Also adds a layer of safety.
    Yeah, I got two 40's on mine. 80# 4 wire system.