Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Tested your belt tensioner to make sure it provides at least 70 lbs/in of spring tension, AND replaced your belt?

Both banks coming up to temp?
    Where on the belt should I measure the tension?

2. Member
    You measure spring tension with an inch pound torque wrench at the same point on tensioner used to release the belt.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    You measure spring tension with an inch pound torque wrench at the same point on tensioner used to release the belt.

Should be able to achieve 70 lbs/in BEFORE the tensioner reaches the end of it's travel range.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Big shout out to everyone on this board for all their help. Thanks Don for all your insights on possible ways to solve my problems.

After 11 months, its fixed (I hope I didnt just jinx it). The problem was my tensioner spring within the tensioner arm. It was not providing the proper resistance to the belt which was causing the belt to slip. At low RPMs the air compressor wasnt able to produce enough air which caused hard starts and the bogging down of the motor. Im happy it fixed and I appreciate everyones input on this forum. It was of massive help.

5. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Well after running great for two trips I’m back to the same problem. My mechanic said I have holes in my reeds. Any idea what would cause that? I do have the carbon fiber reeds.

7. Member
    so that mtr could not have ran great wth broken reeds , pics of holes in reeds please
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1: Please do provide pictures of the "holes in all six reeds" that you messaged me about. I have replacements for that reed, if needed (but it's extremely rare for even one to require replacement, let alone reeds on all six blocks).

If would also be VERY difficult to start or run an engine (AT ALL) if all six reed blocks had holes in the reeds....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    ^^^^^^^^ +2 ALL SIX you gotta be kidding me , come on man , they really said that
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123