Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Need Brain 2012 20XP, any ideas?

Hey guys, my friends push button pad went out on his 2012 20XP. The pad got replaced but that didn’t fix the problem, Marina says it’s the brain but they can’t get one. I know this happens often so if anyone has one or can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!

2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    Going to be very hard to find that piece, I'm afraid. Check out the sticky post above from Carol at C&O regarding touch pad conversion. I've got that thing in my 2013. Fingers crossed that it keeps working. Good luck!!

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Thanks jbh3, he is trading the boat in as soon as he gets the part. I told him about the conversion and he has money and wants a new Blazer. Not a thing wrong with his Triton, well other than this! And he never goes over 50mph. I wish I had the room for this boat.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

4. Member
    That would make someone a nice fishing boat when the touch pad issues are worked out. FWIW, it is possible to pretty easily bypass the Start/Stop button and use the key switch to start/stop the engine. Hope he does a test ride in that Blazer prior to purchase. Hoping the red tide dissipates soon for you folks. Take care!!

5. Member
    The “brain” is just a circuit terminal using quick plugs to distribute power to each circuit via a switch panel ; livewell, lights etc. these can be replaced with marine grade buss boards:

Battery——->buss panel———>in-line fuses——->switches———>lights etc.

it means rewiring the boat, not a very easy task but definitely within DIY capabilities

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierr...us--P010500296

6. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    If it were my boat I would do the retrofit, this guy is not a DIY kind of guy! He literally just wants the part so he can trade it in. We have a Blazer in our club, and I know it’s not as cushy a ride as his Triton. It makes no sense to me to get a go fast boat when you don’t go fast and want the most comfort but it’s his money! Just trying to help him out.

Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Hey guys, my friends push button pad went out on his 2012 20XP. The pad got replaced but that didn’t fix the problem, Marina says it’s the brain but they can’t get one. I know this happens often so if anyone has one or can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!

I think I would remove the corroded negative lead as well as the positive lead clean it up and try it.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

8. Member
    I am looking to purchase a 2018 trx triton next week. Why are the touch pad / parts hard to get or non existent ? This thread made me rethink my purchase .....