stator ohm check 1998 3.0 225

OG666001 Svc manual 90-822900R3 says check between grn/wht and wht/grn but stator does not have those colors. Has grn/red, grn/yel, grn, grn/blu, grn/org, grn/blk. These are the colors the electrical schematic shows as well. Which wires do I check? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Member
    test between each one and grnd , should be grnd screw on block right by connector
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... and each of the six wires should be very close in their readings.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks JOE54 and EuropeanAM. Appreciate both of you guys.

5. Member
    Is 1141, 1161,1132,1117,1147,1140 close enough. Crank position sensor ohms 1202. When I check spark plug wires with a timing light some have intermittent fire and some have no fire. I guess I will check cdm's.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ohm readings should be fine.

What SPARK PLUGS are you running?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    The manual listed NGK BPZ8H-N-10 or Champion QL77CC. Parts store didn't have NGK so I went with Champion.

8. Member
    Read the manual again and looks like I put the right plugs in.

9. Member
    gotta run CHAMPIONS
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    QL77CC is the only correct plug. <-- That's a period.

11. Member
    Got back to my project today. Checked all my grounds at CDM's and all good and ran 2 separate grounds(1 to each side of mtg plate)from battery ground on starter. Marked my flywheel for TDC of all cylinders and hooked up timing light to no. 1 with all CDM's connected. It is firing all over the place. Put new CDM on no. 1 and unhooked all CDM's except no. 1 but still firing all over the place. Put different ignition ECU on but got the same results. I had previously put 6 different CDM's from my 200 Mercury on it with no change. Tried a different flywheel with no change. Where do I go from here? Thanks.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When you say it's "all over the place"- how many degrees difference are you seeing? The timing is ECM controlled, so it will not be fixed in place (even varies a bit at idle).

Now if you're talking about 25-30 degrees variance... that's a different story (and could be a crank sensor problem). Also... Make sure the crank sensor air-gap is set to .050"

13. Member
    Sometimes it shows no.1, sometime no. 4, sometime no.2, sometime no. 5, back to no. 1. Showing different cylinders when I'm hooked to no. 1. I set my crank sensor to .040.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Reading back through your post, it sounds like you put two grounds at the top of the electrical plate.

Did you add a 10ga ground to the lower ECU (same bolt that currently has a ground on it)?

15. Member
    When I first tried to fire this engine and it didn't start I checked stator voltages at the CDM's with the Mercury test harness. With CDM's disconnected they averaged 155 at cranking speed. With CDM's connected 155. Crank sensor voltage at cranking and CDM's disconnected was 1-5 4.2,3.0,2.8 2-6 3.7, 0.0, 2.8 I also tried 6 CDM's from a running engine with no change. Tried different ignition ECM with no change. Have reset crank sensor gap to .050 and added ground to lower ECM and no change.
    Last edited by moldman; 08-05-2021 at 04:32 PM.

16. Member
    Borrowed a crank sensor from a buddy and after installing it the cylinders are firing correctly. Turned on the water, hit the key and I don't think it made a complete revolution before it started. I am a happy camper. Thanks EuropeanAM for your guidance on this and for a helping an ole man who knows just enough about Mercury outboards to be dangerous. The machine work and assembly is easy but the electronics is a whole different ballgame. Thanks again. You are appreciated. Jim

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There ya go!