Alabama Rig Rule

I am making a trip to Minnesota for some smallmouth fishing northern and LMB fishing and just to get away for some time away from Florida.

On a lot of my trips I get to fish an Alabama or umbrella rig. I love to fish it until my arm gets tired LOL.... then I fish other stuff...

Anyway....what is the rule up there? Can I fish a 5 wire rig? Thanks.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

2. Member
    FloridaFlyer,

Please review the regs in detail, but they are basically not allowed as you are only allowed a single hook as defined by MN regs. Check out the MN Rig made by Hogfarmer Baits, I think it is. it is an umbrella rig, but with all blades, except a single center connection point for a single bait.
    2019 Nitro Z19 Sport with 150 Four stroke
    Swinging bass in the front
    and wake boards and tubes off the back

3. Member

This is from the MNDR regulations: " "Umbrella" style rigs may be used provided only one wire contains hooks. The other wires may include lures/baits but cannot contain hooks"

I take a jig head and cut the hook at the bend, and glue a dummy bait to that jig head.

I have used them as search tools because 9/10 times they hit a dummy lure instead of the one with the hook. After that I will throw in with a swimbait or something.
    Fish have fins, they swim

4. Member
    Thank you for replies. I had read this somewhere but wanted local knowledge to actually confirm what I thought it meant...zreading about one hook is confusing since a lot of spinnerbaits and buzz baits I throw have a trailer hook. You would think they would at least let you fish a 3 wire rig....thanks again.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.