Bucking tilt unit going down

1997 evinrude intruder gleue model bucking violently at end of tilting down prior to trimming position,trim is fine up and down,tilt is fine going up but down last say 1/2 inch is violent,,,,,thanks for any help and ideas

2. Member
    grease the pin

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Tighten the big tilt tube nut on the starboard side of engine..

4. Member
    do both!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Scraps
    check fluid level, but my money is on greasing the end of the pins. Maybe try to clean them out first.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Tilt tube nut take 1 1/4" wrench.

7. Member
    tilt tube nut tight and greased tilt tube zerks,,,,,problem persist,,,, another thing i notice when in reverse on water,unless gas pedal is feathered, motor kicks up to a degree. any relation to my other problem?

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Insure pivot shaft/arm is tight. Big nut on the bottom(1 7/8 I believe) and motor mounts are good.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Insure pivot shaft/arm is tight. Big nut on the bottom(1 7/8 I believe) and motor mounts are good.
    thats all good,,,,wish i knew how to post video

10. Member
    what years and engine sizes will complete tilt/trim unit interchange with my 1997 egleue

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    1991 and up V-6 Fastrac trim unit.

12. Member
    This ever get resolved. Just rebuilt my trim on a 96 200hp hoping to fox this. No better.

13. Member
    Ok. So I tried to tighten this nut. I have a crescent wrench that will get that big but Wholey fat that’s an odd angle. Might but a wrench and weld tabs on it.

14. Member
    I know this is an old thread but my 1996 is doing the same thing and only at tilt down. When the pins make contact, the trim down is smooth. The first few inches down from full up is violent. Also motor will tilt up on its own very easily when you let up on the throttle. It will hold its up position ok under acceleration but if you suddenly lift off the throttle it will come out of the water. You can lift the motor with your hand when it's on the trailer. Maybe time for a tilt/trim rebuild?

15. Member
    Did you perform the recommendation on post #3?

16. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Fluid level ok?

17. Member
    pm sent

18. Member
    I can say this. I did the same recommendation from post 3. I am having a tough time getting it tight enough but it did make a huge difference. Odd angle to get to.

19. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Yep , probably 98% time all you ave to do is tighten the 2 nuts , on my 1999 jh225 hpleen ho,
    I have to get a wrench on each side and tighten, will la a season or two and then retighten again.

20. Member
    The issue is ... on boats with hydraulic steering the TT zerks are an absolute beyatch to get to!The thin angled tip recommended on here did not work for me.

Mine still bucks in - get this ... HOTTER weather, but here's what I also did to help out the situation. Otherwise some days I still need to hang out/over on the OB bracket and "ride her down"... pulling UP on her hard with one hand, whislt hitting the down trim button with the other hand.

I removed the hydraulic steering ram in front of the OB, removed the old 'straight' zerk fittings, warmed up the tilt tube really well with heat gun, then sprayed in Kroil. Do a few up/down cycles (pausing ... so you don't burn out your trim motor!) and repeat.

Then I re-installed the 'old' fittings and pumped in new OMC/BOMB 'Triple Guard' grease, but then I removed the 'old' straight zerks and installed the 'new' SS right-angled ones. This will allow me to add more sometime, but from below - yippee!

Link = https://zerksplus.com/zerks-stainless-steel/
    "Life's too short for an ugly boat!"
    1985 totally refurbished Pro-Line 21A Cuddy - 175hp Evinrude FFI