Need Help with water spots

Mercury 300xs s/n 1e05229

I wasn't sure where to post this but I just bought this motor and it has some hard water spots and buildup on it that will not come off.
    I have tried toilet cleaner, CLR, Windex, and anything else I have around the house. CLR made little clean spots (like water spots) but that's the only thing that has done anything. It's thick and baked on.

suggestions?
    2013 20XD/ 250XS

2. Member

3. Member
    if you use plain old "Pledge" spray on furniture polish on your motor cowl every trip water spots will be unable to form and it keeps your motor looking new .

4. Member
    With the motor dry spray on some Lime-A-Way, quick wipe down, then rinse off.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    White Vinegar will usually remove them- and Mercury's Detailing spray works quite nicely between wax applications.

While you're cleaning/polishing, watch for the missing digit in the serial number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    With the motor dry spray on some Lime-A-Way, quick wipe down, then rinse off.
    Tried that
    2013 20XD/ 250XS

Plexiglass polish

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem