Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Question Rapala scale question ???

The rapala scale that all the pro's use on tv digital can store fish weights and gives you totals and so on . I have one of those and noticed that if you have a fish on it and move the scale like tip it forward or back while holding the fish the weight will change anyone else ever notice that??? Last night was weighing a fish it weighed 2.95 then I tipped the scale back a little bit and it went to 2.75 and if I tip it back went to 2.95 again. First time I noticed that...lol
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I am not very confident in my Rapala scale. The weights can be all over the place. or it weighs on weight and stores a different. This is my second one and both did not give me confidence in it.

I have an Acu-Cull which is very accurate, it does not store weight, but generally I just need to determine 1-3 fish, and I can keep up with that. and a balance beam.

3. Member
    I had that scale and didn't have an issue with that other than the screen was hard to read. I use the rapala high contrast scale and I think its pretty accurate. I broke the clip so I have a metal hook on it and I just weigh the fish with the cull tag, so I can hook it through the tag. Last tournament it said I had 20.12 with cull tags and weighed 19.92. Not sure how much each cull tag adds, but I don't think its much. I really like being able to see the stored weights so I can cull quicker. I just balance beam anything within .25lb, but it hasn't been wrong yet.

4. Moderator
    Have the Rapala scale but haven't used it yet. Been using the XTool scale that's been accurate. Will try the Rapala this weekend.

5. Member
    I just recently watched a quick video tip on that, I think it was Jim Moynah that put the video up on facebook. He showed just exactly what you are talking about. It is because the cable has those little stainless balls on it and if you have it tipped enough to make contact on the stainless ball thru the collar at the bottom of the scale, it will put some leverage on the cable and your weight will show lighter than if you hold it perfectly vertical.

Weighed my backpack twice.... perfectly vertical.

Any scale will do what your talking about. Here are the steps to make any scale more consistent. M

1- holding vertically, and stationary not going up and down in waves press and turn on while holding it still.

2-hook up fish hold vertically, hold still then lock the weight in.

don't weigh a second or third fish with out turning the scale off and repeat these steps.

My rapala scale when my partner and I use it is always 0.10 off or closer to our tournament scale at the end of the day. This has been consistent for 4 years /32 uses, however I was the only one to touch the scale last weekend, and the weight was 0.02 off. Pretty remarkable.

also it takes 39 large water droplets to round up to 0.01 of a pound.
    Last edited by Fishysam; 07-22-2021 at 08:28 AM.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Any scale will do what your talking about. Here are the steps to make any scale more consistent. M

1- holding vertically, and stationary not going up and down in waves press and turn on while holding it still.

2-hook up fish hold vertically, hold still then lock the weight in.

don't weigh a second or third fish with out turning the scale off and repeat these steps.

My rapala scale when my partner and I use it is always 0.10 off or closer to our tournament scale at the end of the day. This has been consistent for 4 years /32 uses, however I was the only one to touch the scale last weekend, and the weight was 0.02 off. Pretty remarkable.

also it takes 39 large water droplets to round up to 0.01 of a pound.
    I stepped on my backpack first to kill it, so it would not wiggle...... no earthquake that I know of.....

Trust is something that is built..... so far I am not trusting it......

9. Member
    Titling any scale will reduce the weight displayed. The scale only reads what is pulling directly opposite of its spring. When the scale is held completely vertical, the spring is completely vertical and the entire weight of your fish is pulling on that spring. Once you tilt your scale, the internal spring is kicked to an angle, but your fish is still hanging vertically. So some of the fish’s weight pulls on the spring in the opposite direction, but a tiny portion of the weight of the fish is pulling the spring sideways. Only the portion of the weight that is pulling opposite of the spring will register on the scale. The more you tilt the scale, the more weight goes into pulling the spring sideways and the more error is introduced into the measured reading.

DA28DF23-8CA1-421F-A06A-03A774A8E99F.jpegEvery work day for the last 12 years I have been down to 100ths of a gram. When you stomped on your bag to kill it did you turn the scale off and start over?

11. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    DA28DF23-8CA1-421F-A06A-03A774A8E99F.jpegEvery work day for the last 12 years I have been down to 100ths of a gram. When you stomped on your bag to kill it did you turn the scale off and start over?
    Are you weighing weed or precious metals?? Asking for a friend.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

does that work on the boat?????? looks like it for some nasal numbing powder..........

Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    Are you weighing weed or precious metals?? Asking for a friend.
    Haha definitely weed!image.jpg

Haha definitely weed!image.jpg

Smoker pellets?

So does no one click on the thumbnail? Definitely not smoker pellets. It's a partial shot of a winter wheat library

So does no one click on the thumbnail? Definitely not smoker pellets. It's a partial shot of a winter wheat library
    to get back to the scale, I have had several scales over the years, I had the well overpriced Cull-em-right, but it was a very good scale and I was fishing 1-3 tournaments week back then, had full faith in it. It died after about 15 years, tried berkley did not care for it, bought a Rapala which died in two years but seem to be inconsistent. So I bought another and keyed in on the inconsistency on the second one. I bought a Accu-cull and found it to be accurate, but did not store weights. So the Rapala in on the work bench and the Accu-cull is in the boat. When time is important to get the cull and get back to fishing, I now rely on the Accu-cull and mentally manage my low 3 fish. Normally you 1-2 that you don't need to track. I may have gotten bad scales, but at this point I do not trust them to be as accurate as others.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Weighed my backpack twice.... perfectly vertical.

To b*tch about .02 lbs (that is 2 1/100's of a pound) is crazy. Your measurement technique matters. When you hit hold, was your hand shaking a bit? Did the air draft in the room change? Were you perfectly level each time?

18. dartag1829
    Scales are great to figure out which fish to balance beam. Gravity usually never lies and doesn't need batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    Scales are great to figure out which fish to balance beam. Gravity usually never lies and doesn't need batteries.
    yep, thats my approach with the Accu cull.

Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    To b*tch about .02 lbs (that is 2 1/100's of a pound) is crazy. Your measurement technique matters. When you hit hold, was your hand shaking a bit? Did the air draft in the room change? Were you perfectly level each time?
    If I am sitting in a chair in room with no movement imagine vs on a boat with wind, waves and wakes....... imagine the difference........ stationary vs on a boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast